First Post - First QLD Shark

CapJack

Hi All,

First post so be gentle.

BTW this site is great - have been surfing and reading all the great posts here and learning heaps.

Moved to Gold Coast from Adelaide 2yrs ago, and still finding my way around the waterways in my boat. But last friday I managed to hook my first shark in QLD.

Funny though, I caught it on a garfish rig as we were trying to catch some bait for a night at the pin.

It is a little hammerhead, saw it swimming around the boat, then it attacked my gar float - so to save my rig i was pulling in my line, then it grabbed the hook. As i was using very light line, it took me about 5 mins to get it near the boat - netted it, and released straight away.

But, we were actually stopped for lunch at tipplers, and couldnt help myself - held it up by the tail and showed the swimmers about 10m away from out boat - they all made a quick exit from the water.

Anyway - got the sharking bug - found this site, and planning a overnighter on the nerang this saturday to see if i can get some bully action.

Heres a pic....

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hammerhead1.jpg

post-1305-144598438012_thumb.jpg

pinkey wrote:

good on you and welcome to the site!,

first shark being a hammerhead is pretty cool! did it grab the hook with no bait on it?

It took the bait - was using a little bit of raw chicken - usually us that to catch some gar, so i can gang hook them for mulloway.

Was pretty cool for my first QLD shark, and was my first ever hammerhead - but not my first ever shark. have encountered a lot of them before when i lived in SA - a bit bigger than this one though!:unsure:

See pic ...

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/white1.jpg

post-1305-144598438016_thumb.jpg

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

wow, nice shot!

That cause i didnt take the photo (I make a much better fisherman than photographer) - my wifes a pro photographer and always has here camera at the ready - so whenever shes along in the boat, i get great fishing shots.

Here's another shot once it was hooked....

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hammerhead2.jpg

post-1305-14459843802_thumb.jpg

pinkey wrote:

hey capjack, how many garfish do you usually get? because yesterday me and my friend went garfishing for our first ever time at colleges crossing in the brisbane river and caught 40, plus other pple werer catching heaps more, great gar spot..

Usually only grab 1/2 a doz in the broadwater usually around coomera river mouth and then either head to the pin, or go offshore if the weather is ok. only really catch enough to use for bait.

When i was in SA we used to catch them by the dozens - they are good eating if you have the time to clean them

. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/garfish.jpg

post-1305-144598438023_thumb.jpg

pinkey wrote:

Theyr a different type of gar, we got snubb nose gar i think, they wern't as big either

Yeh thats right - the SA gar a a lot bigger, and cleaner flesh - but ive tried the QLD gar and they are still good eating.

however I have found they are also excellent bait for reef fish and mulloway.

Are these any good for sharking? Live or not?

yeah garfish are great shark bait, anything works for sharks realy, as you caught one on a tiny peice of chicken, and ive caught a bullie and seen 2 others caught on prawns, live is the best but dead fish certanly does work, frozen pillies work great but attracts pickers.

CapJack wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
I wanna see some big SA reds!:laugh:

Welcome to the site mate.

Got plenty of those pics - below is one of my last trip out with a few mates before moving to QLD.

nice little red on the left

... [img size=401]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Snapper_SA_Style.jpg

That's what I wanted to see. Did you have any of your own secret tyre reefs? I've fished down there a bit when i was a kid, I have some family in Pirie.

Dan23 wrote:

That's what I wanted to see. Did you have any of your own secret tyre reefs? I've fished down there a bit when i was a kid, I have some family in Pirie.

Yeh, go a few special marks. My wife is from Port Pirie, but i mainly fished south of adelaide in the gulf. Have a couple of mates that sank some boats a few years back, and they alway produce good fish. Also used to travel across the gulf from adelaide to the troubridge shouls - always good in snapper season, but you have to be quick as the white pointers luv to grab them as your pulling them up.

Yeah, there's some big sharks down there. What was your biggest snapper? I've seen photos of my grandpa in the backyard with a snapper attached to a clothesline and it's hanging down close to the ground. :) 30-40lb monster

That was from 30-40 years ago though. Doubt there'd be any around that size now.

pinkey wrote:

Theyr a different type of gar, we got snubb nose gar i think, they wernt as big either

yeah pinkey their snub nose gar at colledges crossing, they can be in plague proportions during summer, have had them jump in the canoe:laugh: and get them 30cm+

Archived