dead river

maxi

well it has happened again, the richmond river is as dead as.millions of fish floating everywhere, and i mean millions of fish, from baby mudskippers to mt long flattys, millions of bass upstream, millions of prawns and crabs, millions of whiting bream mullet jew jacks tevally the bloody lot.....and it stinks and smells as well haha...but its not a laughing matter at all..we had a major kill here in 2001 after a flood but this is looking worse...its caused by all the rotting vegetation that has entered the river from the flood and as it rots it takes all the oxygen out of the water, as well as the water that has been backed up in the flood mitigation drains that are never opened and have turned to black water, and when it floods all that stinking s..t flows out and kills everything in its path. when all the natural grasses were replaced by fodder for cattle etc the feed that was put there will not cope with being submersed for an extended period, so it dies and rots, turning the water rancid, not to mention all the cane farms that use god knows what on there crops in the form of pesticides etc. that just flows out into the big agricultural drain we once called the richmond river..its terrible guys.very very bad indeed....the river will be shut down again for sure, i will be very surprised if its not.the last time we could not fish it for 6 mths and the pros were out for longer...

these pics are a very minute piece of the kill..

Maxi [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fish_kill_008.jpg

post-2155-144598440109_thumb.jpg

:( i kinda know how it feels a tiny bit, lol, for a while i thought that was happening to the brisbane river, hundreds of dead catfish, Threadfin small and huge, river perch, and mullet were all floating dead down the river for a month or so, duno what caused it but its all good now, is that your local river mate? thats a real shame, move up to brisbane :D.

yeah jayson, its big news down here , been on the abc country hour, local papers etc etc..dpi are fully involved..

dino its mainly from coraki down , about 60 to 70 ks of the river..

ellicat..it does effect all of the local community even if its just the stench coming off the river..everyone suffers in one way or another...

The Maroochy river here gets kills like that on a semi regular basis, been a few years since the last one though. In the case of the Maroochy though it is suspected it is the local farmers chemicals runoff from spraying activities not done correctly, or deliberately using the wrong poison.

Archived