Lions Australia Kids Comp Kurwongbah

rayke1938

Here are my impressions of the day . Shayned will probably follow up with more later.

There were over 250 kids there and they all seemed to enjoy themselves even the fishing was very slow. Quite a few of them spent a lot of time culling the baby cane toad population as they were really thick on the waters edge.

There was a casting competition and it was amazing watching the expressions on the kids faces. A lot of them had never cast a rod before but it didnt take them long to get the hang of it.

The PRFMA had a stand there and we were also responsible for recording and weighing all fish caught. We also helped the newbies in rigging their rods and teaching them how to tie knots etc.

There were quite a few locals there for the first time and they didnt even know that the place existed.

Everyone was very interested in our stocking program.

There was some very good prizes for biggest fish, lucky door prizes, raffle prizes,Anaconda were one the sponsors and had a stall with a couple of fishing outfits to be won.

One 10 year old won fishing gear to the value of $500 and every child who weighed in a fish won a prize.

One of the kids who was using a small sciip net captured one of the bass fingerlings that we released a fortnight ago. Something had had a chomp of its tail but it swam away ok when released and hopefully will survive.

The local counciller gave a bit of a speech for the Flag raising ceremony.She said that there were 200 bass released the other week and we are going to release mullet and sweetlip in the future. Gave me a good laugh and restored my faith in pollys in general.

There were only around 43 fish weighed in.

4 Tandanus . 3 released ok unfortunatly one had been kept out of the water for an hour and we were unable to revive it.

2 spangled perch both released

The ballance being tilapia ranging from about 3cm upwards.

Here is a section of the crowd fishing.

Cheers

Ray [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010863_AFO-c67a3282f88927be7a30056886551617.jpg

post-230-144598441442_thumb.jpg

Well, got the crowbar out and prised the kids out of bed early. With bribes promised of sausage rolls for breakfast on the way, we hit the road by about 7:30, only an hour behind start time!

When we got there, quite a few kids already fishing, but no fish caught as yet.

So signed the kids up, had a wonder round, signed up at the anaconda booth and scored my bag of goodies (theres a hint for BCF, he handed out the membership on the spot!).

Decided to squeeze in just past the point, there was not a lot of bank left close to the comp area at that stage. Rigged up, got the lines in the water for the kids and sat back.

Was an enjoyable morning, not a lot of fish caught by the time I left, the family next to me had got 2, and 1 bloke further over 1. Saw a couple of nice big tilapia brought back by kids who had gone around the bay to the other point (deeper water). Kept kids supplied with a steady stream of sausage sizzles, bacon burgers, coke and coffee for a couple of hours, then got sick of them fighting with each other and headed home.

I also forgot to put the battery in the camera, so I have got some dodgy phone photo's I'll post a bit later.

Congratulations to Petrie Lions for putting on a great day, and the PRFMA for helping them out!

Feral wrote:

We both posted at the same time, I'll move mine over and delete the other thread.

Thanks mate.

I also forgot to mentioned that Anaconda had donated the services of a " Safety Boat". They said that there were a lot of fish holding on a drop off but they were not interested in taking lures of soft plastics.

I was a bit surprised at the small number of spangled perch caught. Around 25 years ago we used to fish for them from the dam wall and catch them by the hundreds. Maybe the tilapia are giving them a hard time as tilapia were unheard of then.

Cheers

Ray

had a greaT day the kids were good for kids they ran them selves ragged going all the way up to the spill way trying to catch a fish but the only one caught was by my neighbours daughter natalie whom was stocked she couldnt stop smiling the whole way home little bella spent more time pulling out toads for me to squash so after to many sausages and a nice tan and a legacy of flattening toads we left

so thanks to ray the stocking group and annaconda and the other sponsors for putting a great day on we had a ball

jason:)

I took the young fella up as well.

Our catch included 3 tadpoles and 1 bug all courtersy of the young fella.

Only thing of note was the young fella had his rod out and sitting on the ground when it started making a beeline for the middle of the lake. Picked it up and had something big on for a bout 5 more seconds when it bit me off. Would love to know what it was.

Despite the lack of fish we had a great morning. The club running it did a great job.

C

rayke1938 wrote:

The local counciller gave a bit of a speech for the Flag raising ceremony.She said that there were 200 bass released the other week and we are going to release mullet and sweetlip in the future. Gave me a good laugh and restored my faith in pollys in general.

How good will that be. Freshwater Sweetlip:silly:

At least the kids had some fun culling some Tilapia and some of the Toads:)

Technically it is, but Tilapia apparantly taste good. Don't bother with Carp though, too many bones in gold fish.

But I think every Tilly caught today was disposed by the officials. Not sure on that though:dry: I didn't go:(

EDIT: This was in reply of Viperon's question, but his posts kinda gone now:blink:

He asked what you do with Tilly's and Carp and is it illigal to eat them

It is a bit of a quandry with tilapia. You can legally purchase imported fillets from the fish shop near Leisure Marine at Capalaba.

If I catch a good sized one I take it home to dispose of properly instead of leaving it to pollute the environment. I then find the easiest way to dispose of the carcase is to fillet and skin it and then freeze the frame ( kills the young)and then chuck it in the wheely bin on bin day.

One of the problems with Tilapia is the longliveity of the young fish amd eggs. The females hold the eggs and young fish in their mouth and if the female is killed the young fish can survive for several days even if the female is out of the water. I think it is the same with the eggs. Maybe Shayned or someone else can verify this.

The fish that were caught today were disposed of in a council supplied wheeley bin.

Cheers

Ray

Angus wrote:

Nice one guys.

At least we have a bench mark for the AFO day :)

And some inside knowledge :P

Angus

Headed up and met with faulked and the kids. Definitely fishing in the wrong part of the dam. Water way way too shallow for this time of year, bound to be a lot of juves....

I would suggest moving closer to the dam wall with the recent rain fall which puts pressure on the fish to crowd at the wall.

Burley needs to be done the day before...

Archived