Introducing myself

Rayzor

Hello fellow fisherpersons

I registered at AFO a week or so back after an introduction at Baroon Pocket, and also at the urging of my son Tom (aka Fishyman).

Tom says I'm an old fart, which is somewhat correct I guess, being that I'm looking forward to retirement and more time to fish.

I'm 52 yo, grew up in Canberra, and my first fishing exploits (that I can recall) were drowning worms for trout in Lake Burley Griffin. Back then, we even used to catch a few!. Lure fishing followed, and later fly fishing. I also spent a lot of time on the NSW south coast, fishing the surf for bream, whiting, tailor and salmon, and the rocks for whatever was biting. Mostly bait fishing back then, but I did get addicted to tossing metals for tailor. Moved to Qld in the 80's, and did quite a bit of fishing 'round the Pin, and the Tweed coast. Spent 11 years up north at Collinsville (Tom was born in Bowen), and can vividly remember my first barra. Lure-tossing with hard-bodies became something of an obsession, and mangrove jacks the prime target. Freshwater fishing around Collinsville is also great - sooties, tarpon, archer fish and the ubiquitous catfish, but while up there we also started the Bowen River Fish Stocking Association, and put 90,000 barra fingerlings into the upper Bowen River over 2-3 years (lots of raffle tickets and cake stalls to raise money!) which we were catching before we left in 2002 to return to Brisvegas. Seven years on, our friends in Collinsville are now catching >20kg barra instead of sooties, catfish and eels.

Now that we're back here in Brissy, Tom is providing the incentive to "get back into fishing", and we recently bought Hobie I Kenobi (sorry Alex!). A second Pro-fish might be just around the corner though. The kayak has had a few outings, and has been well-christened.

Weekdays, I now run my own small business, servicing the requirements of the exploration and mining industry, which keeps me well and truly occupied.

I look forward to creating some more spare time and paying others to do my job for me so that I can get away more.

Baroon was a good introduction to AFO and I look forward to getting to know many of you. See you Sunday at Bribie.

Rayzor.

Welcome aboard Rayzor, don't let all these young pups give ya cheek! sounds like you already have some runs on the board, what are you hoping to target with your new found enthusiasm? So many options...retire now and try them all:woohoo:

I'm thinking about getting into the recruitment ranks, any tips for a newby?

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

Welcome aboard Rayzor, don't let all these young pups give ya cheek! sounds like you already have some runs on the board, what are you hoping to target with your new found enthusiasm? So many options...retire now and try them all:woohoo:

I'm thinking about getting into the recruitment ranks, any tips for a newby?

Rocket

Well, I did think that bass might be the closest approximation to northern barra and jack fishing? Plus, I'm getting a lot of pressure from Tom to take up soft plastics, which is also appealing. I never really investigated the fishing options around Brisbane previously, so I'm pretty much open to any ideas. I would like to put a bend in the fly rod again too.

Rayzor

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you will bring an abundance of experience with you.

I've tried to get my dad to join the site. He's got a few years on our most senior members and probably couldn't get over the fact a lot of these young fellas aren't in bed at night:laugh: :laugh:

Archived