starting in yak fishing

Nossman

Hey fisherfolk...i'm fairly new to qld...well 3 years anyway(does that still qualify as being new?)...I am interested in yak fishing (some may say consumed). But really have no contacts to go fishing with. I have done my research and certainly am no stranger to fishing , but would like to get all the info , plus possible fishing mates to get involved in this style of fishing....so obviously the question is ? Can anyone help me out ?

Hey mate.

Sent you PM but will reply here as well.

First of all the obvious question... Do you have a yak yet?

Second of all. Yes we can deff help you out. There are quite a few yakkers here and we go out often. Last sunday for example we hit Bribie.

Best advice is to check out the "Going Fishing" thread. There are often posts in there by members organising meets etc. Often these are kayaking meets.

Also if your interested in something more organised in May there is a Kayak Camp at Hinze Dam I am organising. The primary target will be Bass with Yellas, Silvers and Saratoga also on offer.

Click the link in my footer to register for this event.

WElcome to the sport mate. Its great.

Angus

Thanks guys , really encouraging to get replies so quickly...i'll definately be taking onboard(excuse the pun) the advice , and no doubt you will be hearing more from me on this topic....Hopefully be meeting up with you in the future , as i'm very keen to get involved in this scene in brisbane...Originally i'm from tas (don't hold that against me) but we had a really lot of success with our trout fishing in this calibre.....

Nossman wrote:

Thanks guys , really encouraging to get replies so quickly...i'll definately be taking onboard(excuse the pun) the advice , and no doubt you will be hearing more from me on this topic....Hopefully be meeting up with you in the future , as i'm very keen to get involved in this scene in brisbane...Originally i'm from tas (don't hold that against me) but we had a really lot of success with our trout fishing in this calibre.....

Another Tassie boy, G'day mate welcome to AFO. Where abouts in Tassie are you from and where did you fish?

Jayson

I'm from the north west of tas "Burnie" but used to fish the central highlands and Tamar river. My yak i must admit was just an old fibreglass pick up i got off an uncle...no brand(but with heaps of mods courtesy of me).I didn't bring it with me for obvious reasons(embarrasement being one) But man i had some success in it . But at the risk of rambling on and telling you guys my life story of fishing , I'll say this ...it would be nice to get back into the yak (updated version obviously) with some like minded people and hopefully share some of my experiences..and also hear of other peoples experiences .... But for now i'm on the hire yak experience here until i get the cash to buy the "i own it" yak

hey Nossman,

Ive only recently gotten my own yak, but had previuosly borrowed some from mates. Lots of good places to yak around here, both salt water and fresh water. Keep an eye out on the Going fishing thread, im scoping out some new places to yak now and plan on organising a date within a few days. As said before by others, jump in when you see the thread. The only problem there is is decideing where to yak, so many nice little salt water est and creeks vs great fresh water creeks and rivers:cheer:

I might have missed it in your first thread, but where abouts are you based now?

Archived