Hook up grades

Leighton

yeh supprises me at howmany people feel they need to upgrade all the hooks on the lures no matter what ones they buy

i find the only ones that may need to be upgraded are the cheap bin type of lures but pretty much all good branded lures these days come with bloody good hook that the maker has sorced to be the best balance for thier lures

but hey if you want to waist money upgrade away

Owners size 12 for Sx40 is what they come with and does a great job. I tried 14s and lost a lot of fish as there isn't enough travel to keep them connected.

I try and change them every 3 sessions or so when I'm feeling rich but if you want to make them last, wash them with fresh water after use. They do dull reasonably quickly and you can't really resharpen them. Most pros will change them 3-4 times a day:blink: .

Some people disagree but if you're chasing anything bigger then I don't rate Owner ST36 stingers for their strength. I've had them close up under jaw pressure from big fish. Then again, when using Sx40s you probably aren't targeting anything bigger than bream.

As an alternative I'd say gamakatsu would have something similar and I haven't tried running single hooks. Probably not as effective on a lure that size.

Also if you're feeling rich there's the Katsuage hooks that come on Megabass lures which are very sharp but don't seem to be very strong. Probably fresh water only too.

well in my opinion thats not all true.

for example jackall chubbies, these lures are not designed to be used for bream here in aus although thats what most people use them for, they were designed for bass and trout both of which have soft mouths compared to that of a bream who has large crushing teeth that can reek havoc on standard hooks.

now for a story, my friend bought a jackall chubby and first use about 4th cast hooked onto a small 25cm cod and the rear treble snapped at the eyelet and the front got crushed,

i used my chubby once for one fish before i had to swap hooks becasue they got crushed by a big bream.

so in my opinion any small bream lures that are not designed to be used on our aussie species (bream or anything with teeth) should have hooks changed to owners.

bah humbug on changing hooks

if you keep a lure long onough to need to change the hooks

you aren't putting it far enough back in the sticks

something should take it off you before the bloody hooks get blunt

and if the lure gets smashed hard enough to do it damage

it should be hung in your hall of fame

Its finding the hooks to upgrade with, most tackle shops have a p!ss poor range of trebles, if any at all!

I do change my hooks once they rust or go blunt, or from new if they are barra lures. I also prefer bronzed hooks for fresh water fish, (just personal choice, I believe they are less obvious) so if they are tinned or galvanised, its not to long before I have replaced them with bronzed mustads (my favourite small trebles, I like VMC in biguns!).

u don't really have to upgrade the hooks on SX40s cuz the stocked ST36 r pretty good hooks but u do have to change them regularly if u want ur tackle to be perfect.

for other lures like trout lures from jackall, smiths and bassday, u realy need to change the hooks to stronger and more corrossion-resistant SW version. i'd love to use katsuage hooks for most of my baits as they r super sharp and strong. i have conducted a test, i use 20lb braid to tie a owner cultiva size 8 and a katuage size 12 and try to break one of them by connecting them and pull. the new size 8 ST36 opened even b4 the size 12 katsuage deforms.

i have had owner cultiva ST36 opened nearly every barra i landed but only 2 barra opened my megabass katuage.

so if u really want the best out of ur bream/flattie hooks, go katsuage.

Dan23 wrote:

Owners size 12 for Sx40 is what they come with and does a great job. I tried 14s and lost a lot of fish as there isn't enough travel to keep them connected.

I try and change them every 3 sessions or so when I'm feeling rich but if you want to make them last, wash them with fresh water after use. They do dull reasonably quickly and you can't really resharpen them. Most pros will change them 3-4 times a day:blink: .

Some people disagree but if you're chasing anything bigger then I don't rate Owner ST36 stingers for their strength. I've had them close up under jaw pressure from big fish. Then again, when using Sx40s you probably aren't targeting anything bigger than bream.

As an alternative I'd say gamakatsu would have something similar and I haven't tried running single hooks. Probably not as effective on a lure that size.

Also if you're feeling rich there's the Katsuage hooks that come on Megabass lures which are very sharp but don't seem to be very strong. Probably fresh water only too.[/quote]

mate, the MB katsuage hooks are available in FW and SW versions. And btw, they are VMC OEM, so if you can find a supplier willing to bring them in, you're all good ;). not too expensive, the same price or cheaper than Owner hooks.

Archived