Mystery fish at newstead park?

adri4n

I had a couple of hours to kill this arvo and decided to head down to newstead park, only had 3 hookups the whole time but I haven't been fishing for a while and it just felt great to be outdoors. I couldn't identify the 2 fish I caught. The first one was quite big at about 30+cm easy (didn't measure as I was going to return it anyways) and I also caught another of the same species at about 25+cm. Both went quite hard and the fight was quite thrilling with a couple of jumps here and there. Just wondering if anyone can help identify the fish. I also caught a nice looking bream which is going to be for dinner tonight.

Image035.jpg

Tonight's dinner

Image036.jpg

They fought well on 8lb mono, quite exciting, couple of jumps. I was worried about the first one as he took a while to swim away and almost went belly up but finally took off ok.

Image033.jpg

Image032.jpg

So thats a tailor eh, might have been more excited about the catch this afternoon if I'd known what they were. heheh. the legal limit is 30cm and I think only the larger of the 2 would have been legal. they go quite hard for their size, put up quite a good fight. cheers guys, I knew posting up a pic here would get me an answer faster than me searching for it online or through a fish encyclopedia.. :P

I caught another small tailor today at newstead park, only about 20cm, but was he angry. I caught what must have been my pb flattie today, but because i didn't have a landing net and was only using 6lb line I couldn't bring him up (i was on the walkway) brought him up to the surface and I swear he was close to 70cm. I didn't mind that he got away, just would have liked to know how big he was. I just bought some 8lb fluoro leader and I must say I think the stuff really does work, much more bream hookups. :P

Yah, I have the same problem with leaders off the walkway. I've been tossing up whether to get a long handled landing net - but even that's not going to cut it at low tide. I'm now using 10lb off the walkway when not targeting bream - haven't had a break yet (although I cut off a section of the leader after landing a flattie). Thick stuff though! Thanks for the report and I look forward to seeing you down there! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i'd continue the thread. I didn't know what this fish was when I caught it so it was released back to fight again another day, I think its a moses perch? If so, what are the limits on the fish? are they classified under sea perches? if so they would be 25cm? anyway i thought it was a lovely looking fish so I'd share the pictures. cheers

Image047.jpg

Image048.jpg

Image049.jpg

I love catching moses perch! tussle hard for there size on light gear, and make you feel like your catching a mini jack :P soo agressive, ive dropped my lure to test the action in a small rockpool at the tweed, to see one of these fellas about 15cm come up and smash it right at my feet :)

jeff f wrote:

make shure you keep your fingers away from the teeth they arte like razors and they can bite you 20 times in a split second.

they dont call them "choppers" for nothing

yeah too right I got bit by one and it was only about 15cm long but it drew a lot of blood with those sharp teeth and I wouldnt let go..ha ha

Archived