How to catch a mullet?

EMP

I've caught 4 good-sized mullets so far. Having said this, it still is such a shame that several escaped during fights after hook ups.

Any tips on how to catch mullet more effectively, like hook size, line, best time to fish, etc?:)

I use bread with float set at about 20 cms.

Put on some Achey Breaky Heart to set the mood, a pack of Winny Blues as bait and a liberal helping of VB...there will be mullets all over the place before you know it!

:silly: :lol:

I've only ever caught them in nets...Jeff F has a method that he was explaining up at the Barra Park the other day.

It invloves rubberbands and multiple hooks and relies on the mullets stupidity from memory. I'm sure he can fill you in on the details

Rocket75 wrote:

Put on some Achey Breaky Heart to set the mood, a pack of Winny Blues as bait and a liberal helping of VB...there will be mullets all over the place before you know it!

I've only ever caught them in nets...Jeff F has a method that he was explaining up at the Barra Park the other day.

It invloves rubberbands and multiple hooks and relies on the mullets stupidity from memory. I'm sure he can fill you in on the details

Hmmmm, interesting one, Rocket. Thanks. :)

Thing with mullets is that I seem to lose them a meter from the bank. :(

EMP wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:

Hmmmm, interesting one, Rocket. Thanks. :)

Thing with mullets is that I seem to lose them a meter from the bank. :(

see the "when to set the hook " thread for a discription jeff f

Im usually target smaller mullet for bait.

Plenty of local creeks fresh and salt have them, but I seem to have more success in fresh placed.

Favourite spots include:

* Kedron Brook.

* Colleges Crossing.

* Bulimba Creek (Near Carindale).

I dont even use a float usually. I just tie a very small hook on and cover it with some dough. Flicking it out is just a knack. I usually leave slack in the line and when i see the line getting picked up I jag.

Thats it :)

Angus

I used to catch mullet as a boy down behind the beenleigh bmx track using the same rig i used to catch gar in wivenhoe. This was many years ago tho, things may have changed :P The rig was a suicide hook covered in a ball of fresh dough/bread with a standard float approx. 1foot above the hook.

Cheers

Woody

Angus wrote:

Im usually target smaller mullet for bait.

Plenty of local creeks fresh and salt have them, but I seem to have more success in fresh placed.

Favourite spots include:

* Kedron Brook.

* Colleges Crossing.

* Bulimba Creek (Near Carindale).

I dont even use a float usually. I just tie a very small hook on and cover it with some dough. Flicking it out is just a knack. I usually leave slack in the line and when i see the line getting picked up I jag.

Thats it :)

Angus

Good info on no-float mullet fishing, Angus. Thanks. I've also caught one without a float so I thought it was just a random accident. :)

Just for interest sake, a few years back I caught a whole heap of mullet on Fisho (Chicken Gut) on a running sinker rig and an average sized hook you'd normally use for bream. Was just leaving the rod in the holder whilst throwing lures around and they were hooking themselves.:)

Hi fellas,

Just thanking everyone who replied. :)

And also, just letting everyone know that Jeff F's technique works! I've caught a few after doing as he told me. I even caught two in one cast. Thanks to Jeff. Thanks to Rocket for leading me to Jeff. Thanks everyone for replying!:)

EMP

EMP wrote:

Hi fellas,

Just thanking everyone who replied. :)

And also, just letting everyone know that Jeff F's technique works! I've caught a few after doing as he told me. I even caught two in one cast. Thanks to Jeff. Thanks to Rocket for leading me to Jeff. Thanks everyone for replying!:)

EMP

no worries mate glad you got into a few;) B)

• 2 weeks later...

also try creeks at low tide, the mullet hang around, all sizes in the water.

cast net.

if no cast net I have used bread as burely and dough as bait with a small hook and a cork bobber since they stay close to the surface.

also they have to be around the area or you will just throw a tonne of burely with no resukts.

if they take the burely they will take the hook, if they dont eat it then they wont take a dough hook,

Archived