Weedless Hooks

Leighton

I am sure this rig method is not new, I was shown this rig by Duncan at Fishead at Readland Bay.

It uses a weedless hook or worm hook.

I have used it twice now and my hook rate has increased, a lot of plastic fishermen would know you get plenty of hits where the fish grabs the plastic and misses the hook. A dropped fish can at times spook the school and the fish go off the bite.

Also with the rig snags are greatly reduced.

The plastic also has a slower sink rate, with lead in the middle of the hook the plastic tends to flutter to the bottom in a more natural way instead of being nose heavy and sinking to quick.

Rather than explain how to, I took a few pics step by step.

I use a 2/0 or 4/0 TT Jig head in either 1/8 or 1/6th of an oz.

Plastics is a favourite, Zoom Superfluke in Baby Bass. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/weed_1_AFO.jpg

post-2505-144598448755_thumb.jpg

I do it with a normal jig head, I (just) leave the point of the hook just under the surface of the plastic, belly of hook sits under the plastic ok, does not seam to affect it swimming.

Great when fishing over weed beds that are a bit chewed up!

Great post thanks - I use the same setup but with an unweighted gamakatsu worm hook and a small running ball sinker (if necessary). I'm keen to try the weighted hook - I've been looking for some sort of eco-friendly material to use (as I've got a lot of unweighted hooks to use up!). I reckon this rig is the best for dragging along close-in to rock walls - it doesn't hang up anywhere near as much.

Champion - thanks for the pics!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Captain thats a pretty old method for weedless hook presentation been around for sumtime now though I'm pretty sure it will help out many of our "new to plastics members"!:)

Like Jeff said have u tried out the the version of hooks with the spike?? There much easier to rig.....;)

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Captain thats a pretty old method for weedless hook presentation been around for sumtime now though I'm pretty sure it will help out many of our "new to plastics members"!:)

Like Jeff said have u tried out the the version of hooks with the spike?? There much easier to rig.....;)

I have looked at them but not found them in a heavy enough guage

Archived