Kayaking for tuna?

Schultzy

Yeah, I was planning to go over the side with the camera in the water proof case to get snaps of hooked tuna swimming. Changed my mind after having an estimated 18-20kg tuna taken in one bite by a very impressive tiger. Wasn't game to tell the missus what had happened to the fish.

benno573: Funny you say that. a fried of mine who loves his photoshop said the same thing. He said it was a simple but clever trick. The reason the shark looks so real in the water is because it is :P

Apparantly (according to him anyway) its the yakker that has been added in. Hence the lack of ripple or anything on the water around the yak. I asked him about ther reflection of the yak and thats apparantly a very simple effect to achieve.

Angus

I don't have access to the article at present. But apparently it is part of a real experiment performed in SA by marine biologists. They actually used kayaks to get closer to GWS. No fatalities and the sharks took no agressive action.

Someone posted a link to it once on AKFF.

Lazybugger: Not to deny thats the real story, but I have seen the same series of photo's attached to several different stories.

I think like with Terry's shark pictures, its not uncommon for a series of photo's to be passed on with changing stories.

Angus

P.S. Sorry im usually not such a sceptic :P

Everytime I see it the shark gets a bit closer LOL. The first time I saw it the shark was about 3 or 4 times the distance back.

The first time I saw the pic it was used for an add in a magazine across 2 pages.

If you look close you can see the print/text from the page behind it on the yakker side of the pic.

Schultzy wrote:

I wonder if this is what Terry or Lee expect to see when chasing tuna in the bay from their kayaks? [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Terry.JPG

I'm sorry for the confusion fellas.

But this pic is me!! I worked for the Salmon Farms back in Tassie as a Shark wisperer. When a shark was spotted I would get a call, climb into my yak and go have a couple of words with it.

This little fella in the pic was lost and couldn't find his mum, So I told him to follow me and led him out of harms way back to his mum.:kiss:

Honestly sceintists, experiments, Photo shop and the like,

You guys would belive anything.:P

Jayson

• 3 weeks later...

Ok fellas

I am sorry to wade into this but this pic is 100% true, how do I know this because I went to the exact spot this was taken. In the foreground is a little town called Gaans Bay, two and a half hours drive up the coast from my home town of Cape Town, South Africa. I visited this bay 3 years ago, it is one of the most congested spots where Great White Sharks congregate as there is a small island off the town which is loaded with Cape Fur Seals (friggin smelly animals!!). The water around the island is relatively shallow and then drops off dramatically.....that’s where the white sharks stalk and launch into there prey.

The photo was taken by this guy - Thomas Peschak who works with marine scientists to capture some amazing pictures.

/>http://www.thomaspeschak.com/kayak-great-white-sharks-/

My very good friends back home Louis Linco and his brother where top iron man lifesavers and they used to paddle their surf ski's about 20km round trip launching from a town called Muizenburg (Cape Town). One day Louis and Julian where humming along when a 5m great white decided to have a go at Julian surf ski, it hit the ski so hard that it broke the nose off of it ...Julian was not the smallest lad and Louis (was a even bigger unit) had to have Julian scramble on to the surf ski as best he could! Louis paddled for their lives to the nearest rocks. Lucky for them the shoreline was about 100m away and they scrambled up the rocks to safety.

If you want a once in a lifetime experience visit Cape Town South Africa and get on to one of the many White Shark Tours that operate out of Gaans Bay and False Bay. You do not need training in diving as they lash the cage to the side of the boat and all you need to do is be able to snorkel/dive down to observe....it is truly amazing! Best months are winter - May -July as the water clarity is very good.

Cheers

Batty :woohoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, I remember saying "Hey jordan, a shark just cruised by in front of me..."

:D

Just dont worry about them an keep your eye out for the tuna :D Worry about them when they come to inspect that tuna you've got hooked on your line

In which case, slip a bigger hook in and catch the damn shark too:P

Archived