awesome day out

benno573

hi all,

myself, jordan and my mate pete (soon to be member) met up at fisherman's island around 5:15. headed out across the bay in idealic conditions. had a bit of a muck around with the tuna schools on the way across - jordan got busted off by something :angry: (i told him 12lb leader was not enough:laugh: !) and swore a lot but other than that an easy ride over.

anchored up on the curtain reef, jordan came out of the blocks with a nice morwong around 40cm, followed by a bream of about 32cm. nice fish. i chipped in with a bream of 34cm. very quiet, weather looked awesome, so decided to head outside. snuck around to the cape, found there was virtually zero swell :woohoo: and conditons were absolutely perfect.

anchored up on the close reefs to the cape and on jordan's first drop he got nailed by a white trevally of around 35cm. over the next 3 hrs or so, close to 100 trevally were caught amongst the three of us (we kept 18) ranging from one i used as a live bait (no success) to 44cm and 1.1kg. didn't matter what bait, jordan even got two on a bait jig (though thankfully not at the same time) it was great fun, awesome fights on light gear, and good on the chew as well (fried in some butter and garlic with a squeeze of lemon was pretty good about half an hour ago!!). i landed a very nice moses perch in amongst the trevally. the decision was made to think about heading in - then my rod got a much more serious bend in it. i called it for a snapper but was perfectly happy to settle for the 54cm kingy that arrived in the net not long after. :woohoo: a good way to finish up outside.

jordan wanted to catch a tuna so we chased some schools around. while we were drifting waiting for signs of fish, i dropped a chunk of mullet to the bottom, and then pulled up a keeper sand flathead and then a bloody nice flounder. :blink: in the middle of no-where... weird. unfortunatelty no luck on tuna.:dry:

bloody awesome day, heaps of fish, saw turtles, dolphins, girls in bikinis:woohoo: (well at the carwash place on the way home but it still counts :laugh: ), all the good stuff. even stopped on the beach at moreton for a quick swim.

gotta love it living in paradise...B)

p.s photos will be attached when i can be bothered and did take some video footage so stay tuned on that one.

benno573 wrote:

hi all,

anchored up on the curtain reef, jordan came out of the blocks with a nice morwong around 40cm, followed by a bream of about 32cm. nice fish. i chipped in with a bream of 34cm. very quiet, weather looked awesome, so decided to head outside. snuck around to the cape, found there was virtually zero swell :woohoo: and conditons were absolutely perfect.....

That sounds soooooo good, every time I try anything other than the estuary world (charters etc), the conditions are very much the opposite.

Good on ya for being out there in the right place at the right time and reaping the rewards.

Hope you marked that spot that held fish in the middle of no-where, could be a new spot X!

Rocket

yea thanks to benno and pete for putting up with me being a total maniac! everytime i saw something that even slightly resembled a bust up i would be shouting and carying on haha and the only tuna i hooked onto the line snapped... i nearly cried. well done to roscoe and gazza who managed to land one out there, that was a ripper!!!!

benno couldnt have said it any better, wether was perfect, fishing was intense, it was just one of those fantastic trips that come very rarely!!

Rocket75 wrote:

benno573 wrote:
hi all,

anchored up on the curtain reef, jordan came out of the blocks with a nice morwong around 40cm, followed by a bream of about 32cm. nice fish. i chipped in with a bream of 34cm. very quiet, weather looked awesome, so decided to head outside. snuck around to the cape, found there was virtually zero swell :woohoo: and conditons were absolutely perfect.....

That sounds soooooo good, every time I try anything other than the estuary world (charters etc), the conditions are very much the opposite.

Good on ya for being out there in the right place at the right time and reaping the rewards.

Hope you marked that spot that held fish in the middle of no-where, could be a new spot X!

Rocket

yeah mate, i marked it by spraypainting the water. it says "benno's spot, don't touch" :P

Brian D wrote:

Benno, great report, Yeap you gotta love living where we do.

On another note, Jordan is a great little deckie, he gets so excited.

yeah absolutely - did a great job (he got stuck on anchor duty :P ) and very very excitable. made for some good laughs and pay-outs though. he gave as good as he got which was good and was easy to get along with. always welcome back if he's up for it.

benno573 wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:
benno573 wrote:
hi all,

Rocket

yeah mate, i marked it by spraypainting the water. it says "benno's spot, don't touch" :P

Hope you didn't spray it green:P

Sounds like a top day!:woohoo:

Looking forward to the pics and vid.

Archived