Sandon 03 - 06 - April 2008

pinkey

ahhhh... cant give away too much mate.. :laugh: :laugh:

ill just say very fishy.. ;) ;) you can get there by 4wd also if you know where to go....

where were the people camping illegally that you saw. ???

was that a fair way upstream ??

was it high tide when you went up. ??

yeah, last time at the rocky place we went we got 3 good sized luderick all in the midd 30's. this time we got one smaller version there, and i got one at the boat ramp :). Im not sure how far upstream it was cos i havnt been very far up :S, ill check it out on google earth. And no it was low tide, so we could pump yabbys :D.

HOW MANY YABBYS ARE THERE lol

yeah its a magic spot alright...yabby central .. as all places on the coast it recieves a lot of pressure for a small system. i have a book on its history. some of the stories are amazing.. getting black drummer out of rocks... hitting 10 lb flattys with a yabby pump out of a boat... wrestling with 30lb jew in the shallows ... the best oysters grown anywhere... huge hauls of snapper and lobsters... great read..

it still fishes well at times...but its a place that holds its cards close to its chest....

Maxi

this is how far we went upstream maxi, not sure what rocks your talkign about as there are a few places upstream with rocky points/banks etc [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sandon_trip_AFO.jpg

5.38km approx in a 10foot flat bottom with a 4 horse :S a bit of driving. It produced though and it was out of the wind and pretty much glassed in some places. lots of sunken timber from the fork onwards.

post-2204-144598451759_thumb.jpg

yeah ok.. its further up than that... its unnavigable at low tide upstream on the rocks, but i went over it once after not going there for a long time, on the high tide... in my glass boat !!!!!

didnt stay long after i realised where i was. hahaha...

the rock bar forms a lake like end and rapids form on the big tides as the water flows upstream and downstream...... can be dangerous.. but needs at least 1.8 mt movement in water for this to happen.... turtles are plentiful this far up also....

Maxi

Maxi, are the rocks in that same fork that we went down?? i am pretty sure i have got it correct, but looking from above is always a bit hard. But if that other fork is a sancuary zone than that must mean that they are in the one we went up in which case we would have been close to them. we went up in a low tide.

maybe we should have kept going

pinkey wrote:

While Reading an old fishing world magazine last night i came across an article by ben Diggles saying that this mystery fish is actually a female"Crimson Banded Wrasse". The males are far darker more a red brown colur and have a yellow pectoral fin and a red anal fin.

Archived