Sandon 03 - 06 - April 2008

pinkey

Hey guys. :)

Well as a few of you may of know, Callum (flathead), his dad Andrew, Tom (fishyman) his dad Ray, Anthony (bait bringa) and myself all went down to the sandon river in northen Nsw, leaving last Thursday morning and returning today in the afternoon. Although nothing outstanding was caught during this trip , we all still had a marvoulious time. Ill just post up Callum and my side of the trip as we didn’t fish with the others all the time. I didn’t get as many pics as I would of liked but I got a few nice ones.

Day 1: Last whensday night I slept over at callums house and we got all the stuff ready ect woke up early and packed the last of the stuff into the car and we were off at about 6.15am or so. After a long car trip over 4 hours, we finnaly arrived to this beatiful place called the Sandon river. Set up camp and we were off to have a looksee around the place. After that Callum, and andrew headed upriver in their inflatable dingy, closely followed by, Antony and myself in his tinny, and Tom in his kayak. I had a 3inch powerbait already on, and I was flicking at a nice looking sandbank when I got my first hit of the trip but dropped it, im think I nice flatty as it made a sizeable splash. Nothing for a little so we went to pump some yabbys.. We got heaps!! This river is full of yabbys, millions and millions id say. Started using them and landed some undersized bream, whiting and flattys, Anthony then put on a 3inch powerbait in pink lemmonade and not long after struck with a nice legal flatty. Nothing was realy happening so we decided to go for a swim/snorkle, saw some great fish and heaps of rays, it was great fun. Then the wind realy picked up a lot, and we couldn’t have a fire that night. We were planning on going for a fish but instead chased a few of those ghost? crabs along the becah wich was great fun, after not the best fishing but a very fun first day/afternoon, we went to bed and slept like logs.

Day 2: Friday morning saw us waking up early and going for a beach bash wich was nice short walk from camp. Good move, very early on Anthony is pulls in a 40cm taylor on a ganged pilly! . I started throwing a slick rig around hoping for a big taylor, jew or flatty but it wasn’t to be. Tom and anthony started cleaning up on the dart on small slugs, with tom getting 3 in 3 casts at one stage, Andrew also got a nice silver trevally and some dart, while callum got some dart and at one stage got 2 at once on his rig. After that good morning beach session, it was time to head up river in the boats and do some exploring. But in the mean time, Tom and Anthony had gone out to turtle island, ( a small island you can only get to at high tide, wich is a fairly short walk) with slugs and got some nice dart a 2 good silver trevally. So up river we went. We pumped heaps of yabbys but only were getting tiddlers on them. So on went the lures :), I put on my brand new Daiwa SC shiner, and about 2 casts later I got a hit and up came a monster whiting, ill let the pics do the talking! . After that Andrew got a little flatty on a 3inch gulp grub in pumpkinseed and a couple of casts later landed a nice 43oddcm flatty. We were fishing this tiny little creek thing at the back of a yabby bank, I flicked out my shiner and bang Im on and up comes a pb flatty lure at 43cm. Shortly after callum gets a flatty around 30cm on a lure not sure what one. We started trolling back , but got nothing on the troll, ancherd up on a spot that produced well with luderick last time we came. Shortly after Andrew pulls up a nice luderick and a few small bream and we had to leave. We got to the boat ramp and Callum and I decide to have a flick. It was just getting dark and the fishing was hot, we had to use 3lb FC leader as the fish there are extremerly finniky in the clear water. We could see some good fish swimming around and busting the surface but they were realy finniky. I started getting these weird hits wich I couldn’t hold. Not long after im on!  using my shallow magic sinking minnow, and up comes my first ever luderick and on a lure! Was fouled but im sure he had a swipe. After that callum gets his first ever tarwhile on lure at about 10cm haha. Then I get my first bream on lure of the trip at around 23cm to the tip. It got dark and we went home had a good feed and went for a quick flick at the boat ramp for nothing, it was to dark and windy. End of that day. A good one.

Day 3. This was probly the best day. It started off getting up early and going off the stones. I again was regretting not bringing any slugs, and decided to just throw slick rigs around but I got nothing. We were belting the deeper water with all sorts of lures for ages untill Ray is on, using a slug and 10lb mono:woohoo: . After a long fight in comes a nice landbased mac tuna of around id say….. 65cm? Didn’t measure it and unfortunelty my camera JUST ran out of batterys in time for me not to get a pic.. Kept it for bait as it was fairly spent after the fight on the light gear.. Can’t remember what tom and Anthony did for the rest of the day, but callum and I decided to go for a landbased HB session. Walked around for a while on the flats for only a small whiting to callum on a chubby. Found a nice rubble wall, and started flicking, got a good whack by a small flatty that I saw strike, but didn’t connect. Then I come tight with a 25cmodd cm bream on my Daiwa shiner. And then a 38cm flatty on the same lure, Then a small bream, callum also got a little flatty. I think my Shiner outfished his sx40 in 307  :P. After that we went back and decided to try for some big bream on bait.. Went to the rocks on turtle island and after a lot of wierdos (fish) popping up.. up comes a 27cm odd cm bream… nothing else but snags, same story at the mouth, So we got a lot of Cungi? Spelling.. you know the stuff that when you touch it squirts out water.. yet that stuff, we got the flesh out of that and used it unwaited at the boat ramp, and scored about 30 drag squeeling bream on the light gear, we kept 8 nice clean bream from 25 – 29cm. We also got a lot of butter bream including my pb at 20.5cm:silly: ! so after a certan report on this site we decided to taste them. We went back and had a GREAT feed! Oh and the butter bream tasted realy good! Later that night Tom and Anthony went down to soak a bait neer the boat ramp, They got a wobbygong, and then Anthony got spooled! Im sure he’ll say more bout that. They also got a few keeper bream and then tom brings in a MASSIVE wobbygong on this old whippy whiting rod.. It was a big animal. Wish I got pics, was realeased unharmed. That was that day.

Day 4 ( today) We had plans of Tom and Anthony waking us up at 3am to go off turtle island, they tried to wake us at bout 4, but we fell back to sleep :P lol, and after I was glad we did because they got nothing all that time. We had a shocker of an attempt off the beach but got nothing. We had 1 hour left fishing at sandon so we went back to the old faithfull boatramp with bait.. drifiting it down unwatied it wasn’t long untill we got stuck into the bream, landing heaps.. I got busted off around the oysters wich was abit of fun, then bagged one nice 28cm model, before we had to leave.

So overall.. even though we didn’t catch anything special, we still had an AWSOME time. Thanks for the great trip guys, and thanks for reading this long report :P. Time for pics.:) :laugh: ;):P:lol: :silly: :side:

campsite

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_166_AFO.jpg

post-1500-144598451626_thumb.jpg

spose ill add my bit here. i wont type a long massive report as bisaccly i cant be bothered lol.

LURES

Me: 5 bream (biggest 32cm), 2 flatties, 7 Dart, 1 Trevally (40ish), 1 Seagull

Anth: 1 bream, 4 Flatties, 2 Trevally, 5 Dart, 1 Stingray

Dad: 1 Mack Tuna, 1 Flattie, 1 sea turtle

BAIT

Me: 4 Bream, 1 Butter Bream, 3 Wobbygong sharks, (biggest about 1.5m 15-17kilo)

Anth: 1 Tailor, 2 Wobbygongs,

Dad: 7 Bream, 1 Tarwhine, 1 Long tom, 1 Trevally

Most of the time was spent up river about 4-5kms in the little tinny, me and anth casting SP's. We found a stretch of river we worked on day 2 and 3 which produced the most fish on squidy wrigglers and powerbait 3 inch minnnow.

there were a few magic kodak moments that were had and not captured on film which is a bugger (not long now until camera is coming)Dad catching that Mack Tuna off the rocks on light gear was pretty awesome. Me and anth had a renewed energy after that and at stages it looked like we were going to be in luck with strikes and swiped coming from a multitude of fish throughout the weekend but out best effort from the rocks was out trevally and seeing either

EDIT: something of tuna variety (something with a big eye) about 1m long launching themselves out of the water.

for the little bit of bait fishing we did we caught 5 wobbygong sharks 1 of which would have weighed close to 15-17kilo and over a metre in length.

anth got a nice tailor off the beach which was nice.

had a good weekend fishing with some good but not outstanding catches but i have to say trevs go hard for their size and had a ball on the bream up in the brackish waters of the river.

me and anth mucked around in the surf in the yaks for a bit which was a bit of a laugh.

Anth got spooled by a unknown fish on 16lb locked up at night, we think a shark but might have been a jew because there were a fewbeing caught around there of late.

all in all a good weekend of relaxing fishing.

Bloddy cold in the mornigns though :S

thanks for reading :)

CAMERA IS NEXT PURCHASE

Nice report:)

And I did say that after my review of the Shiners you'd get some good fish on it:silly:

And I agree with Angus. I think it is a Drummer as well

The first fish I have seen. They did an ID in a Fishing World Mag I'm pretty sure. I'll try to find out exactly what it is tomorrow:)

Archived