newstead 10/04 cod hunting bycatch

kevinchen19870316

after getting some sx40s from jeryl, me and dan decided to have some flicks at newstead for cod. we were both equiped with our heavy gear with big cod in mind. dan was casting his secret cod lure, a "lukky kraft super staysee 75F" on 12lb mono with his new advantage 3000a mounted on his 12-17lb advantage rod. i was casting my lucky craft bevy shad 65sp with 20lb leader, 23lb varivas PE on my calais 100a and loomis forcelite 10-17lb combo.

after around 10mins of flicks without fish, we moved to a sandflat and he said:" i guarantee you a fish here, watch!" 20 seconds later, he was in the fight with a good size fish:blink: it turned out to be a 46cm flattie:( not the cod we r after. it's fine, next fish will be a cod.

we kept walking and casting for around 10mins and he's on again! cod? :woohoo: no:S another flattie of the same size.

within 10mins, he's onto a much smaller fish which turned out to be a 25-26cm bream. we were a bit surprised when the little bream took his 75mm lukky kraft super staysee. then he quickly graped another bream before he decided to let me use the lure as i havn't got a hit yet.:blush: so i super tuned the lure with new rings and new trebles in hope of hooking a nice size cod. 1st hit came right at 5th cast and i was on. cod? cod? cod?.....it fought pretty hard but not really dirty, maybe a 30-40cm cod? :woohoo: 30 seconds later, the fish was brought in and it's another bream around 25cm mark:angry: . what? another bloody bream! where r all the cod??? :silly:

i landed another 5 bream between 26-30cm on the super tuned lukky kraft and dan got 1 more on his plastics. at this time, we decided to swap our gear and hoped this would lighten things up.:P . just as i made the 2nd cast, i heard some big splashes on the surface and there dan was fighting something massive:blink: . finally a cod?!:cheer: . well, this time we were fooled again, by a flattie! flattie bream flattie bream......argh. the flattie's released after a quick pic so no measurement's done. dan's got the pic he'll post up later.

well, with all the disappointment and confusion, we headed back with

dan: 0 COD:angry: ,3 bream from 23-27, 3 flattie at 46, 45, X. 1 good run but dropped( must be cod!)

kev: 0 COD:angry: , 6 bream from 25-close to 30, 0 flattie.

all fish except 1 smallest bream on gulp were taken on dan's lukky kraft super staysee( tuned by Kev, tested by dan and kev).

dan will put up some pics later today.

adri4n, we didn't have a net but i'm getting one soon. as mentioned we were both using very heavy gear and with my 10-17lb baitcaster, i can usually lift fish less than 8lb though anything from 5-8lb is a pain to lift.

next time he'll use less than 6lb line on light raider paired with Twinpower and i will certainly have some fun fishing 4lb line with my 3-11lb megabass fullhouse so a net is essential

with 10lb u can usually deal with most fish( lift them with ur rod!). but i will defi get a net so that i can use ultra light combo there.

jimmybob: i only give him 1 cast and 5 seconds later he's on! i didn't let him use it again in case he steals my fish though. lol

fishyman, i'm keen to have another go as well.maybe some time next week

Archived