First post - How to use HB and what technique?

Hi all,

Been reading in this forum for a while now and I think it's time to make a few threads to show my existence. I'm a fresh new angler addicted to fishing thanks to my mates.

I've been fishing with baits before and 90% chance that I will catch a cat fish in Brisbane river. Therefore I would like to target some breams and like to use HB to try out if it really can catch bream with it. So I went to Kmart and bought 2 HB, one silver colour for clear water, one gold + orange colour for muddy river. They both have the clear flap thing in front of it. $4 each, bargain.

I would like to know, sounds like a stupid question, Do I need any leaders or sinkers with that? I have tried without sinker and it can not cast far at all, like 5 metres max. Also what technique should I use to retrieve my line? My mate told me to quickly retrieve the line (turn reel 3 times) with pauses.

I'm currently in drought and did not catch any fish for 2 weeks. Any suggestions are appreciated. Please help this little junior angler :D

Thanks all

Hilary

for the casting problem it may be the rod your using is a bit to heavy. you shouldnt use a sinker as for retrievals theres heaps of diffrent ways its best to just try them all and find what works in the area your fishing. but i would look for a lighter rod thats about 7ft length bout 1-3kg rating and little reel either 1500 or 2000 size.

also welcome to the site Hilary

yeah what kriso said is right on the money also maybe the line that you are using is too heavy try going lighter like 6-8 lb and if your up for it try using briad if you are not already

edit welsome to the site mate heaps of info here for people just starting out or the more experienced injoy

Yes, I think my rod is a 6ft rod and its a bit heavy. My line is a 8lb line ultra thin ones. I have tried my mate's fishing rod, think its a baitcaster or something. It is so light and flexible, I thought it would snap when it catches anything :P. Think I should get a decent rod hey...

Hilary im not realy successful with HB's i mainly use soft plastics but there are diffrent methods like walk the dog or you can have a slow steady retrieve or a pause and jerk i think having success with lures is just putting the time in and trying diffrent things until you find one that works good HB's to try are Ecogear SX40 and SX48 or cheaper imitation are Strike Pro Pygmies (around 10 bucks) there a bit dearer then the ones you have but have a great swimming action and proven fish catcher. also I recommend using a Fluro Carbon leader as fish can be spooked by heavier lines. anything from 6lb to 12lb depending on where your fishng and what the structure is like.

Thats about all i can tell you realy as i have only been using lures seriuosly in the last 8 months. There are heaps of gurus when it comes to this type of fishing on the site But Plastic Man is difenatley some one i would pay attention too in this department

Enjoy the site!

Plastic Man wrote:

mate a good one to start out with is just a slow retriev just cast out and bring it back in slowly this is a good way to start and will catch you fiah once you got this one down start to make up some new things like putting in a pause and then start bring it back in again good luck mate

Top advice.

Start off with the most basic retrieve, that is a slow constant retrieve. This is a basic retrieve but will catch you plenty of fish. Once you start to feel adventurous you can throw in a pause here n there and spice it up.

Yeah if you're really keen on using HB's or Plastics you really need to have the right sorta rod to get it to cast out properly. Prices start around the $80 mark, but if you wait for a sale you can get them a little cheaper. Rods around this price are sic sticks, pflueger trions, starlo sticks, berkley drop shots. These will really improve your casting length and will give you good feedback on any hits you get when retrieving.

Best way to learn the techniques is to catch up with some of the guys when they head out. Check the "going fishing" threads to see if you're able to join anyone.

And do LOTS of reading. Plenty of information buried in the threads.

kriso wrote:

. also I recommend using a Fluro Carbon leader as fish can be spooked by heavier lines. anything from 6lb to 12lb depending on where your fishng and what the structure is like.

i read somewhere that you shouldnt be using fluro as leader if your using HB as fluro will sink. Flurocarbon for SP is deff good though

B work just fine at night.

Hilary can I suggest linking in with someone on the weekend for a river lure session, possibly at Newstead or something? Is anyone going?

You can learn more in 5 minutes with someone in the know than from loads of posts :P Its just easier to demonstrate etc...

Angus

yes you can and its not realy stupid at all but are pretty frequently asked question. Dont be emabrassed to ask anything on this site no one treats people new to fishing like idiots as we all started somewhere, just a 1yr ago i was asking the same questions

namyau wrote:

kriso wrote:
. also I recommend using a Fluro Carbon leader as fish can be spooked by heavier lines. anything from 6lb to 12lb depending on where your fishng and what the structure is like.

i read somewhere that you shouldnt be using fluro as leader if your using HB as fluro will sink. Flurocarbon for SP is deff good though

Thats interesting i found once using it my catch rate improved! diffrent Horses for diffrent courses i reckon

Angus wrote:

Hilary can I suggest linking in with someone on the weekend for a river lure session, possibly at Newstead or something? Is anyone going?

You can learn more in 5 minutes with someone in the know than from loads of posts :P Its just easier to demonstrate etc...

Angus

If anyone is up to giving a lesson I would also be very appreciative for the advice.

its alot easier to show in person but you need to learn a couple of knots, one is the allbright knot whice joins your main line to your leader and then a loop knot which goes onto the lure but lets it swimm freely and doesnt hinder the action.

dhull wrote:

Angus wrote:

Angus

If anyone is up to giving a lesson I would also be very appreciative for the advice.

if u don't mind my terrible accents, come along this wednesday night at newstead park. there'll be heaps lure fisho there and i can show u a tips or 2

hey mate i remember when i started to use hb's went out and bought some cheap ones and was angry at myself that i couldnt get any fish. Untill i started reading posts ect of what to do i have alot more success now this came mostly came from the right hb's for bream and some good spots. Sx40's are great but you will have to pay about 20$, jackall chubbys which i have caught most of me bream on which are the same price, strike pro pigmes havent used them before but i know there good and a fare bit cheaper and look for some daiwa shinners lol (pinkey) had some good success with them on our camping trip cant say the same for me and my sx40. Once you start catching a few you will get hooked and you will be out to keep upgrading your pb's. I think you should buy a role of 8lb berkley vanish flurcarbon line for about 20$ for about 220 yrd or something a great price and spool that on unless u want to buy some braid but then a leader not is required. I would reacommend light braid around the 4lb mark for great casting abillity i suggest some 4lb crystal fireline. The when or if you have some money buy a nice 2'4kg or 1'3kg rod about 6'6ft to 7'8ft rod and a 1500 to 2000 reel and you will be on your way.

hope that help cheers callum

Shrimpo wrote:

The big rolls of vanish are nothing flathead, their not much different to mono, The real vanish flurocarbon is $20 for 50metres.

No there is a fare bit of difference with the visibility in the water just no as much as the more concentrated expensive stuff

For all those new to lure fishing (or willing to learn more), there is a great article by Shultzy (Neil Shultz) in April 2008 Bush and Beach called: "Beginners guide to lure fishing".

As part of an ongoing series of articles, it covers all facets of starting out with lures (HB+SP).

Well worth a read and just the sort of info you are chasing.

The most important thing is time on the water practicing what you learn.

Regardless of the gear you have, make sure you pack some determination, enthusiasm, an open mind and good advice, add a little luck and in no-time you'll be addicted like all us other suckers.

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

For all those new to lure fishing (or willing to learn more), there is a great article by Shultzy (Neil Shultz) in April 2008 Bush and Beach called: "Beginners guide to lure fishing".

As part of an ongoing series of articles, it covers all facets of starting out with lures (HB+SP).

Well worth a read and just the sort of info you are chasing.

The most important thing is time on the water practicing what you learn.

Regardless of the gear you have, make sure you pack some determination, enthusiasm, an open mind and good advice, add a little luck and in no-time you'll be addicted like all us other suckers.

Rocket

Yeh its a good article.;)

Thanks guys for all the info. Since I got paid today, and BCF is selling half price SX40s. I am willing to spend around $200 on a HB fishing set. Now it's the fun bit, I am going to Moss Street BCF on Thursday night. Can someone do up a nice config for me with a budget of $200 so I can get myself started for this weekend in Tweedhead?

Cheers All, This forum is great, fast response rate. Lovin it so far

Hilary

My first SP combo was the $99 Sienna and Catana combo.

Awesome set up for the price. I would recomend it to anyone. Both made by Shimano.

This would leave a healthy $100 for leader, braid and lures.

Good luck.

Really looking forward to hearing how you do at the Tweed.

Angus

Yeap. Angus's suggestion sounds pretty good.

Choose a rod that is rated about 2-4kg and match it with a 2500 size reel. Then buy yourself some 6lb or 8lb Fireline and then some 8lb flurocarbon leader. If you don't really want to use Braid (ie, don't want to bother with leader knots and all that stuff), buy your self some 8lb Berkley Vanish line (different to the leader material). The line comes in spools of 250yds, the leader is roughly the same cost but only 50yd spools.

Then pick a couple of SX40's and you should be set:)

Welcome to the site

Cowfish13 wrote:

Yeap. Angus's suggestion sounds pretty good.

Choose a rod that is rated about 2-4kg and match it with a 2500 size reel. Then buy yourself some 6lb or 8lb Fireline and then some 8lb flurocarbon leader. If you don't really want to use Braid (ie, don't want to bother with leader knots and all that stuff), buy your self some 8lb Berkley Vanish line (different to the leader material). The line comes in spools of 250yds, the leader is roughly the same cost but only 50yd spools.

Then pick a couple of SX40's and you should be set:)

Welcome to the site

I agree with everyone Cowfish said, but Id just go for the braid right off.

If I had a penny for every person I heard say something along the lines of "Oh my god now I have used braid ill never go back :P".

Anyway as long as you learn leader knots (and you might as well at some point) braid is most certainly to go. of course this is just my opinion :)

Cheers.

Angus

I'm not much of a lure fisho but here's my advice.

Berkley Drop shot 1-3kg would be a great first rod and should be about $89. Matched on a Shimano Sedona 1000 and you'll have a nice outfit. Buy 4 Sx40s in 307 off Jeryl some 4lb braid and 6lb leader. You may go over the $200 mark but it'll be worth it.

Also grab some 1/16th jigheads and some 3" Gulp minnows for great plastics fun when fishing deeper water.

With that setup I can guarantee you fish if you come fishing with me and Kev at newstead one night.

Archived