crabbing in briz river

RX007

How do you catch these crabs? Do they just hold onto your bait or do you need special crab cages?

I remember eating some sort of crab in Carnarvon, unfortunatley cant remember the name although its claws were Blue if I can remember right.

It was absolutely delicious. I rate crab above Lobster and crayfish eating wise, just a pain getting all the meat out though.

the three main methods are bait on a line and hope they hang on till you can get a net under them.very frustrating.

wire or heavy mess net on steel frame crab pots(cages)best for mud crabs

and dillys or witches hats ,these are a steel hoop that sits flat on the bottom with a conical mesh net held above them by a small float

best for blue swimmers or sand crabs

Cheers Jeff, just to let you know we were having a party last night and I was showing everyone your picture with that threadfin! A couple of my mates love thier fishing, and put it this way, Angus will propbably confirm as he's been to Scotland, you can spend years fishing for Salmon here and not catch a thing.

One of my mates even copied the picture to his phone (your a bit of a celebrity now in Scotland! :-))and swore he's booking his holidays to Brissy nesy year and spending 3 weeks solid fishing for a thready like you caught.

Awesome fish mate, well done.

My wifes just gave me a hard time there, "You on that bloody fishing site again!"

Bloody Kiwis! :-)

Edit to say, hes just woke up. Says he couldnt get the pic on his phone, is there a way to save some of the pics on here to your PC, wouldnt mind a few myself.

sandys usaully are all ways full regardless of the time of year...but muddies are fuller this time off year and when they first start to run in september...all depends on the water if the temp dont cool down to much in the cooler mnths u will still have a chance to bag a muddie..

just a waring on crabbing in the river, once i got 2 large males mud crabs (around the jindalee area) and i took them home for dinner, when i boiled them i opened there shell and the meat inside was like a dark gray black looking colour, looked realy bad and didnt smell the best either. :dry: :blink:

has this happened to anybody else??

brisbane_boy wrote:

just a waring on crabbing in the river, once i got 2 large males mud crabs (around the jindalee area) and i took them home for dinner, when i boiled them i opened there shell and the meat inside was like a dark gray black looking colour, looked realy bad and didnt smell the best either. :dry: :blink:

has this happened to anybody else??

Mate did u bother to clean them out as it could have been the guts u were looking at??

Archived