Making lures

bretto

Started making some lures on the weekend during the horrible weather we had on the coast.

Used balsa carved and sanded to shape.

Still in progress but this is a pic of a topwater-walk the dog style lure.

These are just trials at the moment but have a few other styles in the making too.

70mm long pencil

[img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hinzey01.JPG

post-2675-14459845435_thumb.jpg

fishyman wrote:

that last one has reminded me of a dead simple way to make a topwater fizzer from a dowell joint ;)

might make a few bream size, and some bigger ones for bass

That one is 55mm long and is gonna be a fizzer when it is done. Meant for bass Just put some balsa in the drill at home and shaped it with sandpaper like you would on a lathe. It is pretty fun. :)

The plastic is, by the looks of it, perspex/ackrylic and you can buy it from places like Bunnings and other shops like that. The screw eyes are also easily bought from these places.

The perspex can be pretty expensive, but the eyelets are dirt cheap:)

However, Bretto, I would be wary of using just the screw eyes with the Balsa, I'm not sure if the thread on them will hold into the balsa strong enough. Perhaps you should test it by tieing some line onto it (of a suitable strength) and seeing if you can break it

Looking good some far though, keep us posted on the final results:cheer:

Some great work there!!;)

couple of questions though:

Where did u buy the screw eyes from? I looked at bunnings last week but the smallest one's i could find were 8mm which is way to big for the 50mm lures i was thinking of making. I was also thinking maybe a hobby shop that sells bits and pieces for model making would be the go for the finer sizes.

Also have u thought about using some araldite to glue the screw eyes in? or maybe a wire former to bend up some wire to fit inside the gut cavity of the lure instead of the screw eyes?

The plastic used for the bib was from an old bashed up plano tackle box cut up and the eyelets are made of wire twisted to the size needed.

A hole is then drilled into the lure and then filled with epoxy glue and the eyelet is then inserted.

The twist in the wire holds the eyelet in place very well and the bond is very strong giving you apply firm pressure to fish.

Shrimpo wrote:

But its not an sx40, it wont work!, They look awesome man, What are u doing for paint?

It's not an sx40 but it will work :P....i hope. I have an airbrush so that will assist in the painting area. Not designs yet but will be sorting that out soon.

Archived