jig heads for surf

jeff f

going to try some plastics in the surf on sunday at d i point

any suggestions as to what size jigheads

i'll be using gulp 4" turtlebacks and 3" shrimp

and an assortment of curltails and flickbaits

i've got some 3/8 and 5/8 as well as the usual light stuff

mate I've found 3 grams to be good in the surf. Gives you a reasonable cast and doesn't anchor the plastics to the bottom so it flows around. I've had good sucess with squidgy wrigglers and 3" Powerbait minnows. I just throw them out into a gutter and every now and then give a few flicks of the rod tip.

Good luck, even small fish feel massive when using bream gear in the surf.

Dan

edit: also the round head jigheads tend to cast better than ones with hidden weight.

mate i play around with plastics at fraser each year and always go back to a chartrouse mister twister on a cheap red coloured jig head . the dart and bream love em. and the tailor seem to favour them too. yeah great fun playing large dart with a 7 foot 2 kg combo in the surf but the old boys get a bit shirty if you are standing shoulder to shoulder on the tailor.

Good idea Jeff. I love plastics in the surf! :)

I usually use 1/2 or 3/4 ounce. But it depends on wind etc.

You dont have to worry about finesse as much with it tumbling around in the white water etc.

So just go as light as you can get away with, but heavy enough to keep it getting rolled straight back in.

Good choice on the plastics as well. Tanya and I had most of our luck on the honeymoon with Turtle back worms.

GULP! bloodworms are good as well but then your almost bait fishing!

Angus

Angus wrote:

Good choice on the plastics as well. Tanya and I had most of our luck on the honeymoon with Turtle back worms.

Angus, the words soft plastic and honeymoon didn't enter into conversations at my house when we were doing our wedding planning...I didn't see anyone on the Seine flicking for bream! :-) Good on you!

Archived