Getting a boat, Advice needed

fishyman

Hey guys,

after going to the Tinny and Tackle show today to look at some boats. pretty much we are after a boat similiar to something like the Bluefin Tomcat 475 or the Quinny Hornet trophy 450.

The boats we looked at and are possibly interested were

Bluefin Tomcat 475

Allycraft Shadow Pro 445 (2008 new)

Qunitrex Hornet Trophy 450

There are others but these are probably the 3 top contenders.

first question.

What sort of motor? talking to the cunningham marine fellows they recomended a direct injected 2 stroke, whereas tweed coast marine guys recomended 4 stroke.

i know 2 strokes have more power thus providing a quicker hole shot but do the new age injected 2 strokes have comparable economy to 4 strokes?

Second Question

should you go for the max HP rating on your hull when purchasing your boat? i am thinking yes becasue with approx 110 litre live well full plus gear plus people not having that max HP would make the hole shot sluggish?

Your opinions?

Third Question

regarding leccy's

what sort of poundage am i looking at to push this sort of baot along into currents/wind etc etc?

at the moment me and dad are probably favouring the allycraft although the hornets are very nice boats also.

any opinions or ideas welcome.

Thanks

1. Depends, Go with what suits you all motors these days are good. Sure some have little problems but its the same with everything u buy. DI 2 strokes offer pretty much the same fuel economy as 4 strokes.

2. YES! I would definitely go for the Max HP but thats me. Almost all tow away boat packages have a min hp motor. Thats obvious, they want to save on costs.

I however would upgrade the motor to atleast above reccomended hp.

3. For a 4.5-4.75, A 12v 55lb at a pinch but for the 4.75 a (72?)lb 24v is probable better.

The Allycrafts are nice boats and good value for money. However for the most versatile boat for creeks, rivers, dams and bay work, Maybe offshore on a really good day, The 4.75 Tomcat would be best.

Cheers

Im just going by if he just wants one the bigger obviously the better most of the guys in some of the bass electric comps only use one 80lb I saw tim the bream only use one at cressbrook on his hummingbird stratos bass boat and they go really well.

fishyman wrote:

Hey guys,

after going to the Tinny and Tackle show today to look at some boats. pretty much we are after a boat similiar to something like the Bluefin Tomcat 475 or the Quinny Hornet trophy 450.

The boats we looked at and are possibly interested were

Bluefin Tomcat 475

Allycraft Shadow Pro 445 (2008 new)

Qunitrex Hornet Trophy 450

There are others but these are probably the 3 top contenders.

first question.

What sort of motor? talking to the cunningham marine fellows they recomended a direct injected 2 stroke, whereas tweed coast marine guys recomended 4 stroke.

I say go with the 4 stroke, less to go wrong and quieter.

i know 2 strokes have more power thus providing a quicker hole shot but do the new age injected 2 strokes have comparable economy to 4 strokes?

Fuel consuption depends on how hard you run the revs. At max revs you will use 25% more fuel then you do at the sweet spot no matter which motor you have.

Second Question

should you go for the max HP rating on your hull when purchasing your boat? i am thinking yes becasue with approx 110 litre live well full plus gear plus people not having that max HP would make the hole shot sluggish?

That depends on the prop set up. I use 3 differnt pitch props depends what I am doing and the load I am carring.

Your opinions?

Third Question

regarding leccy's

what sort of poundage am i looking at to push this sort of baot along into currents/wind etc etc?

at the moment me and dad are probably favouring the allycraft although the hornets are very nice boats also.

any opinions or ideas welcome.

Thanks

thanks for the advice guys, ive learnt a bit over the last few days researching and what not.

Motor wise. Id say we will go for a direct injected 2 stroke at max or close to max HP

Hull Wise. i still dont know

Tomcat-Nice boat but lacks a rodlocker without having to make illegal modifications.

Hornet-Probably the nicest finished of the 3. but all the rumours about welds cracking and problems has got me worried.

Allycraft- a nice boat has everything we need but being a new model migth have teething problems.

Leccy wise. Id say a wireless Motorguide 75lb

time for my 2 cents.

Go for an Etec, they are great no run in period just go flat out from day one, the engine runs itself in over x ammount of hours using more oil than normal. Great fuel economy, no servicing for 3 years.

Go max hp I reckon a 55lb leccy would do the teick for working pylons and snags but maybe go bigger if you plan to troll with it.

If your worried about abusing it get a polycraft they will take whatever you can throw at them.

I was in a similar position and went for a Quintrex over the Blue Fin, mainly because of the cosmetic finish on the inside of the Quintrex.

Also wnet for a 4 stroke, noise and fuel efficiency were 2 main factors.

In regards to horses, IMO that is a question you sould ask the dealer or research this matter. I wanted to go for te max HP of my hull being 90 HP but was talked into the 75HP as the 90 was an over kill and was a bit close to the hulls limits, causing the hull to "chine walk" and be un settled under full power particularly with a stiff cross breeze.

As for electrics, go for the biggest you can afford, anything over 55lbs is 24 volt requiring 2 batterys.

Also factor in the price of batterys, multi stage charger, circuit breaker and space.

i have a tomcat you carnt go past them i take mine every were. if you put the rod holders on the console and put the others in the straps you can hold 8 rods out of the way the mod to the left hand side is not illegal if you have it done by boat builder i have a optey they are grate motors they will beet a etec out of hole and are very fuel efficant to

Not sure what boats you are talking about, so wont say anything about them. But when it comes to horses, buy as many as you can put on the back of the boat. You dont necessarily have to use every pony all the time, but when you have 4 people and camping gear for a week, you will wish you had them all.

Can you use 100% at 80%, but when 80% is 100% then you cant do much about it....

Shrimpo wrote:

That last statement is totally correct, Better to have it their for if you need it, You will use much less fuel and the engine will last alot better being used at lower revs. And those extra horses all come in handy with bar crossings.

Using an engine at lower revs does not nescessarily mean it will last longer.

shortie wrote:

Shrimpo wrote:
That last statement is totally correct, Better to have it their for if you need it, You will use much less fuel and the engine will last alot better being used at lower revs. And those extra horses all come in handy with bar crossings.

What i meant was it is better for the engine, Its obvious that an engine thats not working as hard is going to keep the motor in good condition compared to a motor thats been thrashed and hads its life at high revs.

Cando wrote:

Have a look at TAB boats,, they do a 4.5/ and a 4.8 for around the 29 ish mark..

with the lecy's once you go over the 55lb your getting into the the 24v,, ie 2 batt's and charger's,, so the $$$/up keep start going up!!

Noel

hey Noel,

Thanks mate had a look at those tubs and defiently worth a bit more investigation.

Thanks

Shrimpo wrote:

shortie wrote:
Shrimpo wrote:

What i meant was it is better for the engine, Its obvious that an engine thats not working as hard is going to keep the motor in good condition compared to a motor thats been thrashed and hads its life at high revs.

Not nescessarily true either. An engine should be used throughout its entire rev range. They perform better and wear in better. keeping consistant low rev can be as bad as flogging it.

Better to run a varying rev range.

Another thing to look at is where are you going to do your fishing. As this also could influence the type of motor and size you need.

Wide bay Water after 2010 will only allow 4 stroke and etec and tohatsu di motors up to 60 hp on Lenthalls.

They will allow 2 strokes up to 6hp only up till 2010.

It would not surprise me to see other water authorities adopting the same standard.

Cheers

Ray

Archived