terrible find under bribie bridge

Donger70

haha it looks nothing like a crab.

I dont know what to think about turtles, im sure you would agree that everytime you go out in the bay you always see a few, and if you were to stand at the lighthouse at cape moreton theres always heaps too see, but then its always said that they are turning down many of their old breeding grounds and stuff.

are they really endangered or in any serious risk?

• 2 weeks later...

Terrible to see something like this.

Traps generally are not neglicted or disguarded by there owners.

Unfortunatelly there are people out there that like to cut ropes and bouys of other peoples pots. Or this damage can also be done by the prop of an outboard moter.

the pots can still have bait in them at the time. So they still have the potential of catching something.

Tragic but true.

Gruesome discoveries like these end up in the media.

The media beat it up along with the greenies.

It then the fishing community on a whole that suffers as they legislate against our right to fish.

The best thing we can do is call fisheries if we see anybody tampering with pots that are not theirs. Remove any derelict pots from the water. Practise sustainable fishing/crabbing practises so that we get some good publicity.

Richard.

I have seen this a few times, The turtles like eating sand crabs and so there lies a problem with crab pots,dillies and turtles,, i have seen one of my crab dilly floats moving against the current in the bay before, with something very large swimming in it,,

Im amazed by the number of disgarded and old busted pots i find around the creeks in brissy, either guys are new at it and dont realize there is a little thing called "tide" go up some of these creeks on high tide and thier pots are high and dry on low, or they think it was flooded when they go back out and the tides gone out and just leave thier pots there!

I take them home sometimes, if they've been there for more than a couple of weeks in some back water creek.

Archived