Switchblades strike again! Upper Brissy River 21/5

Plastic Fantastic

Hey guys,

Met up with Hugh (Fishing_Cherry) around 3.30ish at colleges today (Uni finished early :lol: ). Using TT switchblades in the Gold and Copperhead colours, 3 casts saw me manage a 28cm FL bream to the right of the bridge. Hugh missed a few good hits on his switchblade but after that it died down. Around 4ish we decided to head down river to a try one of our regular haunts. Got down to the water at 4.20ish and after a good 30mins flogging with the switchblades saw no fish caught. I tried a pink squidgy fish in the hope of attracting the attention of a decent flattie while Hugh left his options open, choosing to stick with his gold switchblade.

Almost as if a switch had been flicked, Hugh hooked up to a massive fish that pulled a good 15 meters of drag on its first run! 5 minutes later and a 61cm Dusky flathead is landed, photographed and promptly released :laugh: .

[img size=371]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/61.jpg

After seeing Hugh's success on the switchblades I decided to tie back on my copper head coloured blade and first cast and I landed a nice little 39cm flattie. 5 minutes later another flattie succumbed to my switchblade - this guy slightly bigger at 45cm.

Another 5 minutes went past and right against the bank I got another hit, this was a better fish! It took a while to wake up but when it did, it took off into the current giving me a hard time landing the bugger! Eventually Hugh got his hand in its gob and lifted the 59cm flattie out for a couple of shots before it to was released.

What a session! :woohoo: This is the second time this week flathead have been virtually non existent, only to awaken and smash the crap outta our switchblades in a matter of minutes! Both times this happened occured at the low of the tide in the afternoon. We left at about 5ish happy with our little session! All fish were caught on 6/8lb leader and 4lb braid and released :)

Here are a couple of photos of the bigger two caught.

Long live switchblades! ;)

Tom/Hugh

post-1541-144598458516_thumb.jpg

Here is the 59cm bugger I got

[img size=371]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/59cm_Dusky_Flathead___TT_Switchblade__Upper_Brisbane_River_AFO.jpg

These fish are heaps of fun in the shallow fast flowing water! And when a decent fish hops on the line, you hope to god the 6lb leader holds! :S

post-1541-14459845852_thumb.jpg

brisfisher wrote:

great size flatties mate:)what was the tide like?

Brisfisher, it was about an hour before the bottom of the tide; so very shallow water. Seems this is the tide for flatties at this spot as I got another 61cm flathead around this tide time this morning! Lol it was actually the first flattie I caught which I mentioned in my previous post! I could tell because it had the same little wound on the side of its face and was exactly 61cm haha! Hows that aye?! Four days after its release and it still wolfs down a switchblade :laugh:

Bigtez to bad there is only 20 1/4 switchblades in the world and I used to have 5 now only 3 one is in NPD and the other in Clarrie Hall dam. As for the 1/6 I think there is only 1 or 2 made and I have one. :lol: :lol: :lol: But I dont think they need any more proving they work just fine on many species such as what I have caught on them

Bass, Flathead, Whiting, Cod, Squire, Bream, Giant toadfish, Stone fish and many many more.

DannyH wrote:

Well done Tom and Hugh. Good to see you get the photo .... ha ha ha

I didn't think it would be long before Hugh had his own collection of Switchblades!

Yea, Hugh has two now haha once again, I'm so sorry for my dad's inept release of your fish! I'm sure he had the best of intentions though :blush: Don't worry though, theres plenty of flatties out there!

Yea, Hugh has two now haha once again, I'm so sorry for my dad's inept release of your fish! I'm sure he had the best of intentions though :blush: Don't worry though, theres plenty of flatties out there!

I thought your dad did a great job of releasing the fish. It swam away very nicely. :laugh:

Archived