Have you ever had a Shark scare in your Kayak

Carstenvp

Hi guys.

Few questions for ya Kayakers...

Have you ever had a Shark scare in your Kayak in Morton Bay/Bribie Island ?

What Sharks are out there ?

I thought it could be fun to own a kayak but 2 things hold me back, I haven't really got space at the moment (lame excuse) but most of all, I am sh** scared of Sharks!!!

Presumaply no one have ever been knocked out of his/her kayak out there, or????

sh** scared!

What's your story. Any Pictures?

/Carsten

I've never heard of it happening. I've seen pics of huge hammers swimming next to kayaks, but you would have to very unlucky to be attacked. Much much more likely to be attacked while swimming.

I've been out in my new yak a couple of times and they havn't crossed my mind at all:)

hahah good one bommie, the colour debate lives on

can someone find a link to those hammer kayak pics that were posted a while back? They were unreal.

Oh and if you are worried about sharks, don't go out in the open where there is potential for a big bitie. The risk must be microscopic, but if you are not comfortable with it, dont go, stick to the creeks, and dams:)

Thats actaully a really good point Werewolf.

Carsten if you dont like sharks there is still some amazing freshwater fishing to be had locally.

Look out for the next time there is an event with loaner Kayaks and give a shot.

Angus

yea i was with terry once and there was a big shark following us. terry was cool and calm but i was gone in a flash. ive never paddled so fast.

ive always been nervous about bringing in a big pelagic and then having one attack me while wrestling it into the boat...

werewolf wrote:

hahah good one bommie, the colour debate lives on

can someone find a link to those hammer kayak pics that were posted a while back? They were unreal.

Oh and if you are worried ..., dont go, stick to the creeks, and dams:)

The "bow wave" from this one gives me a laugh ... [img size=496]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Moreton_Hammer_Yak_1.JPG

post-564-144598458542_thumb.jpg

Jordan wrote:

yea i was with terry once and there was a big shark following us. terry was cool and calm but i was gone in a flash. ive never paddled so fast.

ive always been nervous about bringing in a big pelagic and then having one attack me while wrestling it into the boat...

:laugh: :laugh: you were no where near it :P :P :laugh:

TerryH wrote:

Jordan wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: you were no where near it :P :P :laugh:

when i took jordan out in the boat to curtain reef he was pulling in a fish and a "shark" followed it up. jordan, went from sitting on the back of the boat to hiding in the cabin in about 2 seconds flat... was hilarious!!! still, he outfished me that day... :blush: you're a champ jordan, when we going to hervey bay to spearfish with the sharks? :P

Thats Jordan though. Always outfishes me so I have to scare him.

One time in the river he was untangling his cast net up to his shoulders in the water. Anyway should have seen his face when I mentioned that people had been lately flushing baby crocodiles down the toilet hahahaha.

Angus

No trouble for me in the yak yet but have had a 2m long bully swim under me and curiously have a look at me sitting in the water whilst surfing at currumbin this time last year. Scared the shit out of me and a few other guys out at the time :P . I am going to see that sharkwater movie tonight. Should be good

VERY ENCOURAGING GUYS :woohoo:

You are not helping.....

So big Tigers and Bullies and some Hammerheads trown in for good measure out in the Bay.

Good thing Pionters doesn't come this far up north.....

By the looks of it, I am not the only sissy though ;)

Still, it could be fun to try. If there ever is a "try out" day, I'm game, it must be THE way to fish the Rivers/Creeks/Dams.

I still recon you guys are nuts :S

Good to see your answers

Cheers Guys

/Carsten

Carstenvp wrote:

You are not helping.....

So big Tigers and Bullies and some Hammerheads trown in for good measure out in the Bay.

Still, it could be fun to try. If there ever is a "try out" day, I'm game, it must be THE way to fish the Rivers/Creeks/Dams.

Good to see your answers

Cheers Guys

/Carsten

White sharks do come up this far.

Here's a pic of one that gave a love bite to a boat just north of the Gold Coast (Straddie) just last year [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/whitepointer_straddie_0407-f0d39155affbcc8709d99e30b6db58e7.jpg

post-564-144598458611_thumb.jpg

ellicat wrote:

Carstenvp wrote:

You are not helping.....

Good to see your answers

Cheers Guys

/Carsten

White sharks do come up this far.

Here's a pic of one that gave a love bite to a boat just north of the Gold Coast (Straddie) just last year [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/whitepointer_straddie_0407-f0d39155affbcc8709d99e30b6db58e7.jpg

Looks like a bottle nose dolphin to me.

Just watched your video link Mick.:ohmy: I can't say I'm keen to attempt sharking from a small vessel anymore... :blink:

About whites up here - apparently back in the whaling days they were quite common. If a dead whale was all it took to attract several, then there must be a few crusing around:woohoo:

Aaaaand your stil nuts :laugh:

I would never have thought Great Whites came up this far, only great Danes :S

I do remember the dead Whale story, thought it was Tigers having a go.

Greeeat pictures though, like you say there must be a few cruising around for them to be attracted that fast to the Whales...Hmmm

Still nuts....

And yes I know, the chanches are slim to none for gettin bitten, it's more the thought.

bootyinblue wrote:

LOL.... bottlenose!

Kriso has a picture of a bottlenose to familiarise yourself with them again. I cant find the pic here so will have to wait for him to post it up.

If it isnt a bottlenose i wonder what i was hand feeding at Straddie. And yes i still have both hands and all fingers left.

Maybe im just tough:P

yep NFW i would be hand feeding that thing in the photo. also dolphins are a browner colour. also look at the length of those fins way to big for dolphin, did you have to many bottles before playing with the "bottle nose" shortie rofl!

Archived