Marine Radio

Leighton

Is it Law or just a recomdation for a boat to have a VHF or 27 Meg Radio.

I know V Sheet, Flares etc etc are the law but cant find any info regarding marine radio's.

They are pretty cheap ( $160 for a Cobra VHF ) but do most people only run a 27 Meg because they are cheaper or do they do the job.

Leighton wrote:

thanks lads

Yeah got my VHF Lic at school

Why didnt they have useful studies like this when we went to school? Instead it was all pythagorus theorum and Pi to 10 decimal places...

Yea radios come under 'general saftey obligations' but then you can be prosecuted if you go to sea without sufficently fufilling your general safety obligations.

Also handy to have when you are fishing in a group and just want some chit chat...

I have got my VHF and HF licence.

Before i got it, i also thought it was completely unnecessary.

Once you sit the course, you realise how formal the frequencies are and how important it is to learn the correct procedures.

As an example, not many people would naturally know that all VHF/HF emergency frequencies should not be used AT ALL within 3 minutes before and after every hour.

Those 6 minute periods are for emergency broadcasts only.

That is just one example of a benefit of getting your licence.

It is important that people are responsible with these radios.

So many times i've heard idiots buggerising around, not realising the dangers they are messing with.

VHF and HF are not like UHF.

AZZA wrote:

The word I got from a bloke I know in VMR nobody has been stung for not haveing a vhf licence

I have been pulled over quite a few times for safety checks, they have never mentioned a lic for a VHF.

Most new Boat/Motor and Trailer packs have VHF's in them

shortie wrote:

fishyman wrote:
where could one go to obtain such a licence?

since the boat will be coming soon i spose i should get one

Call any VMR They conduct courses.

I would imagine we could get enough people interested in filling a whole course.

I could do with a re fresh

Archived