one for me finally - fri 27.06

novrain

hi guys

finally managed to get my first decent size threadie

watched the broncos thrash out a draw with the panthers. felt super bored so rounded up 2 friends and headed down to mangrove near the pine. cast netted for a short while and came up with 1 big fat prawn, 1 decent prawn and 2 small ones.

rigged everyone up with the live prawns and just sat back and enjoyed the evening chill. nothing was happening for the first half hour or so, not even a bite or a nibble. the 2 of them were falling asleep but as for me, i was just happy to get out.

suddenly i felt my line moving and i thought hang on somethings moving, i looked up and saw that my friend had cast over my line and there was this tangle. so i held up the lamp and we were both trying to untangle the line when suddenly there was this big splash way out and my rod started going zzzzzz....zzzzzz.........ah that beautiful sound..

open his reel and i procceded to fight the fish with mine... it had bloody good weight on it and as it was coming over, all we could see was this silver flash..and suddenly POP.. the line snapped... i was spewing but hey, that's life. was quite certain it was a threadie but it could be anything.

rigged up again and cast out.. nothing happened for the next 15 minutes and i was getting bored. got up and started cast netting for mullet. was dragging the net in when that beauuuutiful sound rang out again.. this time it was my other friend's line. he wasn't sure about fighting the fish so he passed the rod to me... this 'fight' went on for ages as he had very light line on.. say 6lb with 9lb mono as leader... if it was a threadie, the mono wouldn't stand a chance...

after a couple of good runs, it finally sufaced and we were like 'woahhhhh'...... this massive threadie was just splashing about in the water right in front of us. didn't have a net and i had to scoop it up in a pail!.. was so afraid it was going to run ...

luckily the hook was on the lip so none of the leader was in its mouth

rigged up friends line with mullet and we sat down and waited again. got bored after a while and stood up to do more cast netting. the minute i dragged up the net again, there was another big splash and my line started running.. landed a decent flattie .. he swallowed the entire prawn.. fish was about say 60 and fat

unhooking the flattie and our chair started making its way to the water.. a fish had taken the line and almost pulled the chair into the water... i picked up the rod to strike but was i was doing so, there was another splash and then it was gone... mullet was still alive and kicking so i think that other fish had the mullet in its mouth and maybe just playing around with it or something...

anyway that summed up our evening as it was getting too cold for anything else...

merv

Archived