New to Brizzy and need advice

Jusnippinout

Hi folks. Moved to Brisbane region in Jan this year, from Canberra. Been in Oz nine yrs since moving here from the UK. Loving it in Queensland - so much nicer than Canberra, which is suffering more than most cities in the drought. It's great to see healthy trees again, and rivers with actual water in them! B)

Well, I fished a fair bit as a lad in the UK (many, many moons ago) but haven't done much since. I spent a year in Enzed, living beside the beautiful Lake Tarawera, which despite containing lots of lovely trout, didn't offer them up to me.

Frankly, I haven't got a clue.

I plan to fish again - fresh and saltwater - but I need some advice re locations, best times and techniques, just to get me started again. Note that I haven't got a boat.

just saw cornubia was about to edit my post... :laugh:

there are some ok spots along the logan river, expect to catch catfish, eels, bream, bull sharks and maybe a jew. fish around the top of the tide. use fresh prawns or flesh baits like mullet fillet cut to fit hook size for best results. again, google maps will be able to show you where near you the river is accessible as there is a lot of private property to watch out for!

there are sharks in all rivers around brisbane, in the logan only up to about 4ft long so not going to eat too much. :laugh: frozen prawns are ok, if you can get cheap fresh ones from the fisho they're even better. rig, a running sinker onto a swivel, a trace the a hook, or even simpler, a sinker straight onto a hook. rods and reels don't have to be flash, and 15lb line will handle almost everything the logan river throws at you.

benno573 wrote:

there are sharks in all rivers around brisbane, in the logan only up to about 4ft long so not going to eat too much. :laugh: frozen prawns are ok, if you can get cheap fresh ones from the fisho they're even better. rig, a running sinker onto a swivel, a trace the a hook, or even simpler, a sinker straight onto a hook. rods and reels don't have to be flash, and 15lb line will handle almost everything the logan river throws at you.

OK, thanks. Now I just have to consult the rig guide I bought, to translate wot you said........ ;)

Welcome to Brisvegas mate!

BEING BIASED!!! Get a YAK my friend...(thats fishing kayak) it will open up a whole new world in regards to adventure and fishing.

I, like you are in golf terms a "hacker"!! :P And even I have caught some fish!! :woohoo:

So far as the Brisbane river is concerned (I might get shot down in flames here!!:blush: ) but top of the tide 30 min each way or find a spot on the outgoing tide which will get you some good bream and flatty's.

Bait fishing will most of the time hook you something, with kayak fishing I have hooked some rippers whilst trolling and in my opinion there is nothing quite like being towed along by a hard fighting fish....

Enjoy and good luck!

Batman

Archived