What has Brian D been doing?

Brian D

I thought I would drop a line to let youknow I haven't forgotten my pastime. Here's an extract from my monthly magazine and what I've been doing. (Partly for Greg D)

It’s a tough job but someone has to do it! Heard that before? Well in this case it is so true that it is worth repeating. Nearly 3 years ago I came to Southport Yacht Club expecting to be a quiet little book keeper who sat in the accounts department not being heard or seen. Through a chain of unforseen events I have been given the ship to steer in the areas of Marine and Finance. Being a water baby from way back, if I am going to be an accountant I can’t think of a better place to do it then in a yacht club. Not just any little yacht club either, but a club with more then 60 years of history, culture and community roots. Like I say tough job, but sure beats working for the tax office! [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sail_3.JPG

post-118-144598467321_thumb.jpg

The Marine Team put in a huge effort on the Audi Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race this year, (so did the F&B Team but that’s another story). With a near record fleet of 76 boats starting it was all hands on deck to berth the boats, sort out luggage and get the sailors settled in for a couple of days of good old SYC hospitality.

At the last kids camp there was 37 boats with 47 junior sailors keeping everyone busy. We didn’t loose any and everyone made it home safely, well except for the staff, I don’t think they will ever be the same. Watch this space for some developing kids to take on the world.

The winter series for Dinghies opened with a hoot in June, light winds made for slow racing but still it is great to be on the water and the kids loved it. There is a Winter Regatta scheduled for 9 & 10 of August so look for the report in the next Insync.

Not to be out done the multi-hulls have their winter series up and racing with a targeted fleet of up to 14 speedsters competing for the top prize. Again the people behind the scenes are showing their support by planning an expanded program for next season and a fleet of 22 competitors expected for the summer series. [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sail_2.JPG

post-118-144598467325_thumb.jpg

A new initiative to booster services available to members is the special advanced sail coaching that has been introduced up at the Hollywell site. Designed for capable sailors wanting to further develop greater expertise, this is more then just training, you get personalised on water instructions and is recommended for anyone wanting to gain more skill.

Moving along with the technical world we are developing a weekly newsletter in email form dedicated to sailing informing Members of upcoming social and sailing events at Hollywell. If you would like to receive this E-newsletter please contact Wayne at Hollywell via: sailing@southportyachtclub.com.au. Previous issues of the E-newsletter are also available from our News WebPages follow the links from: www.southportyachtclub.com.au. [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sail.JPG

post-118-14459846733_thumb.jpg

The Marina is pretty well at full capacity with the exception of a couple of the larger berths being available so if you have a spare super yacht floating around and you are looking for somewhere to park it, let’s do a deal.

Now I won’t bore you too much with the other part of my life by chatting about balance sheets and P&L’s, so for the moment please stay safe on the water and remember that power boats should always give way to boats under sail.

There you go Booty, I found the multi hulls for you.

Now - what does this have to do with the site - well we have now offered sponsorship to outriggers division and I am looking at forming a division for all you yaker's. Nothing wrong with a private launch spot and return, with spots for a BBQ and beer afterwrds, even a shower if you need it.

Let's see if you guys want the service?

Brian... another cracker of a post from you. Its great to get a bimonthly post with what you ahve been up to.

See and I told you there was a multihull division sailed from your club. A couple of us might even look at coming for a sail sometime there.

Not sure how often you get on the site and look around, but I too have joined the Yak brigade so keep me posted.

bootyinblue wrote:

LOL.... Depending on how fast you are travelling on one hull, I have held my rod on more than one occasion thinking I was going to die.

:laugh: Funny that - I have made the same decision about the last thing I will grab before I die too:dry: :P :laugh:

kriso wrote:

yep would be keen on that depending on cost

Wrong way around Kriso – I was thinking about setting up an event every 3 months or so and putting together a prize pool with stuff like free sailing, clothing, fishing gear, even some cash and a trophy.

In return I am looking for participation stimulating activity with the goal of bringing down the average age of members. I would need strong representation by way of numbers or it will fizzle out but it is worth a thought.

By way of showing our intention of diversity we could set up a new category of membership for Yak’s similar to what we did for the outriggers that have just competed at Hamilton Island.

It doesn’t have to be that way; it can be just a fun event. Anyway let’s see what Angus says when he reads this. The GC might be too far away for most the members but with me being loyal to AFO I thought I would offer it here first.

Archived