BBT Drop Line Fishing Charter Report

Stinger

Well arrived at the marina to find that there would only be 3 people Edd and myself plus the skipper Danny on the boat as another person had to pull out at the last minute. Looking good I thought.:woohoo:

The fishing style for today would be drop lining. That involves lowering a pillie or other bait down through the water column with the line running over your fingers trying to feel for any touches as the bait heads for the bottom.

We were using a rig designed by Danny (see photo for design)

You need to be on the ball to strike at right time. I’ve got to admit a lot of the time I couldn’t feel any bites but when I wound back in the bait was gone. Danny having done this style of fishing for a lot of years had a big advantage over us newbie’s.

Danny said this was his favourite way of fishing and this style usually resulted in catching better quality fish.

Well the day turned out to be not quite like the weather predicted with NW wind 10-15 and good slop going.:(

We took a while to learn the drop lining technique and to be honest I think it will take a bit more practice to get to get it down pat.

Started fishing at the 29s and moved around a fair bit with a few rats caught.

The fish were hugging the bottom and were not very interested in playing the game.

About 10:30 the NW picked up more and even with both sea anchors out the drift was fairly fast.:angry:

12:00 the wind started to drop a bit so we headed out to the 35s. Same thing here the fish were hugging the bottom.

12:30 the wind dropped right out and for about an hour it had just about glassed out.:woohoo:

Now we started to get a few decent hits with 3 legal Squire landed by Danny the biggest going 45cm. One of them he was luck to get in as there was a shark chasing it as it came to the surface Eddy and I managed some undersize fish but all of us had some big hits and a few hook ups only to lose them before the boat.

Had a Remora fish give us a look over and take a bit of burley from us.

13:30 the wind had picked up again now coming from the NE so it was time to head back.

While coming across the channel out from Manly we spotted this couple in a 10 -11 ft old fibreglass tender dingy waving for help.:huh:

Turned out the slop was to much for the little boat and the 8hp to handle and they wanted to know if Danny would give them a tow back to smooth water. They of course wanted to get onto the BBT boat for the journey as I don’t think the eyelet on the dingy would have held with them in the boat under tow. After a few words being spoken because they managed to put the bow of the dingy up against the BBT motor (luckily it was only a bit of paint transfer from the dingy.) we ended up towing them to near the mouth of Tingalpa creek.

From what we could see they didn’t appear to have any life jackets or oars in the dingy. (Another drowning waiting to happen)

Well besides the lack of fish and the weather it was still a good day out learning drop line fishing and I am sure if the wind had of played the game the fish count would have been totally different.

Thanks Danny for passing on a few tips and I'll be back for another go at this style of fishing.

Kreel and Tacklebox Danny said to tell you that you definately had the pick of the 2 days weather wise.

Dany's Drop Line Rig [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Danny__s_Drop_Line_Rig_1.jpg

post-1250-14459846866_thumb.jpg

Yeh kreal I did tell Danny I'd be interested it giving drop lining another go so hopefully we can organise something.

I let Danny know that if he had of let us know there was a spare spot even at late notice we probably would have had some one to fill the spot I'm sure Jake would have taken it.

Tacklebox I can assure you that Danny did explain to let us how he got the cut and bruise on his chin.

Archived