Jack Lures

bigtez

Last season I had success with jacks using xraps or and a few other slashing type lures around 8cm and Gold in colour. Also got them on some other hard bodies like a R2S Bubble pop 45 and Kokoda sprog lol. Soft plastics that worked were squidgy wriggler, Powerbait 3inch Power minnow and Squidgy slick rig.

I'm going to try and import some of the Deeper diving xrap slashbaits this season as well as use lots of stick baits.

Remember to upgrade your hooks too as Jacks can crush fine gauge hooks closed so avoid Owner's bream range and beef up to VMC x3 or 6 or the heavier gauge Owners.

Have fun.

Lure selection depends on water depth, if the Jacks are hiding in Snags that are in 5m of water then your Lure needs to be down at least 3m but probably deeper. A lot of the Barra Type lures will get you down deep enough

I think thats wht Prawn stars go well as do Jerk Shads.

Bring on Summer, Tally Creek here I come

bigtez wrote:

As summer is just around the corner I am looking to get a stockpile of lures ready to go jack hunting. Any suggestions? and pics of them hanging in an MJ's mouth?

Terry

Always a winner in the estuaries, the Predatek Spoonbill.

Fluoro colours for jacks. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Spoonbill_jack_1.jpg

post-108-144598468777_thumb.jpg

don't forget the poppers - the most exciting way to chase Jacks! of course the hook up rate isn't as good as sub-surface lures but to see the strike on the surface is awesome. try them around shallow snags, rockbars and hard up against canal rockwalls.

my favourite hardbodies are Tilsan Barras and Smith Cherry Bloods and for plastics lightly weighted Gulp Shrimp (same technique for fishing for Bream). Bigger lures generally only catch big fish, but the smaller lures catch small and big fish (along with plenty of by-catch).

Bring on Summer!

Marty

kriso wrote:

im gettin worried neil you've gone from using bikini chicks in your photos to old fella's! :laugh: :laugh: :P

Old legends Kris. ;)

That fellow was the hero of my generation. The big bass catching legend, Kevin Clark. He's caught more 50cm plus riverine bass than any other person walking the planet.

Archived