Lake Awoonga BRC Trip

Feral

Feral wrote:

I'll let Brian explain this one at callide Dam!

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dscn0171.jpg

We tried to tie up to a tree you see in the back groun but the deckie would not get on the bow so I jumped up and he was suppose to motor up to the tree but missed. Then without warning he shoves the boat into reverse at full revs and off I go. Splash.

Actually it was not too bad as it was fresh water and in the middle of the day so I dried off pretty quick. Hey Ferg I forgive you but remember revenge is sweet.:evil:

THAT'A ONE WAY TO RAISE THE DAM LEVEL:silly:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/23 04:42

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/23 04:44

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/24 06:56

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/24 06:57

For those interested, the really nice new cabins Brian spent the last part of his trip at can be contacted as follows

Awoonga Gateway Services (They are still trading under their cleaning company name at the moment, but numbers will remain the same)

Ph 4975 0033

Fax 4975 0044

Mobile 0407 272 851 or 0409 272 858

Lynn Abel and Mark Lorberg are the owners, very nice people!

Brian D wrote:

I saw the monster arch it's back and swoosh it's tail at the lure to say \"get the fck out of my space\". the fish was not hungry or it would have eaten the lure - it ws just pissed off at the persistant invasion of a lure into it's spot.

He was well over a meter. It took me nearly half an hour to settle my heart rate. What a buzz! I find it hard to imagine what it will do to my heart when I actually do hook up on the surface.

Forget the heart, its clean pants I'd be worried about!:P

looks like we did the right thing perservering at awoonga. See extract of email from mate who was at monduran at the same time.

I just got home from Monduran. Too cold

after that cold weather the week before. Catfish 5 Barra nil. This

next

week could be good as the water was warming up a little each day.

Ray

Have a look now Feral - they may have got through.

Jimmy - I'll be going back asap for a weekend so if you want to come just say so and let me know which is best for you and if good for me then lets go.

Also I still owe Troy a trip so maybe him too.

I've been there now so I know how the place works - total cost would be about $200 (petrol & food)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another pic from Awoonga

THe guys at Yatala Yamaha went up the week after us and gave me this report.

Hi Brian We have just come back from Awoonga and have finally got a barra 85cm 20lb we got it trolling at night on my trusty halco laser pro mackerel lure. We were told many stories and methods and places to fish which we all different so I think it is all luck of the draw and while talking to others there and the techniques and areas are all the same but the serious guys went way towards the back of the dam I guess mainly because the majority of people don't go that far. We also tried jigging in the middle but only got catfish. In all it gives us hope for next time. We stayed in the park as the cabins we booked out and as it went it wasn't so bad in those tents as we didn't spend that much that much time sleeping and they were $12 p.p per night. I left you a photo of our catch.

Thanks Ryan Zell

Yatala Yamaha

[img size=441]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Ryan_060__2_.JPG

post-118-144598403276_thumb.jpg

Well they reckon they put them in there every year, but I only heard of one undersize fish caught the entire time we were there, and it was only just under.

Where Ferg and I fished, we should have had lots of hits from smaller ones (weed beds and snags) but not a one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived