Fishing injuries

BIG DAVE 1

hey guys Im sure we have all slipped on an occasional and had a hook lightly peirce a finger, im keen to hear if anyone has got some horror stories. Ive had a mud crab dislocate my middle finger and i have a hook go into my shoulder.......its happened several times.

dave

I have only ever pricked myself with a hook, I've never been hooked. I'm always cautious about hooks as they are very sharp.

These three are ones I can remember from this year:

1. 'gently' releasing a catfish, it somehow managed to pierce my synthetic leather shoes, and stab me in the foot. Ouch:|

2. I caught a net full of baby catfish, not seeing that one was near the top I grabbed the net to pull it up. baby catfish and it's spine was sticking up. Ouch:\

3. Jumping down on some rocks at night. Slipped, fell, hurt my feet and had a nice lengthy cut on my hand:\

i have had a cattie spine go into me before but thats when it as deadin a bag and i was carrying th bag and an esky and the bag swung around against my leg and the spke peirced the bag and my leg :woohoo: OUCH!

Post edited by: BIG DAVE 1, at: 2006/06/05 08:58

dave,

iv had a hard body lure hooks go into my foot (3 trebble) while i was camping up north, some stupid person left some hooks on the ground :ohmy: should of been wearing shoes

and alos iv had a hook go into my finger had to go to hospital to get it out :P

Dave: the what now????

I must say i have been pretty lucky.

Spined by fish and poked by hooks is about teh worst.

Buit ill tell you, back in the day, beach fishing at peregian meant about 5 bream per session.

Oh my god are your hands sore after a day of de-hooking bream.

I mean 10-15 little pricks really adds up to painful.

Um catfish hurt as well.

Saw a guy lose half his ear when fishing on teh swains on a charter.

But that was only coz he was well boozed and smashed it so hard on a rod holder it scraped it off.

Yeah thas me done.

Hmmm where to start?

1. Working some rocks at and steped on some glass. I think the blood helped burly some fish up. Only 4 stitches.

2. Several barb deep hooks in fingers and feet.

3. One catfish spine(hurt like an absolute b!tch!).

4. Bitten by a bream. Classic moment! As i was unhooking a bream it just fancied my finger a little. Funnily enough it was the only bream I've ever eaten/killed on purpose.

5. Last but not least. I fell off jetty and as i was falling rubbed up agaisnt the barnicle laced peir pole. Once again blood is a good burley!

Tim

Perhaps my mate wins?

That big 1.6m pike eel in the gallery, poking it in the belly with his left hand. Reached up and bit him on the right arm, sliced it open, had about 5cm of skin that was sliced open where you could see flesh, plus numerous other small wounds and scratches.

Silly thing was, even after him getting bitten, I nearly got bitten myself:D

I can't remember if he needed 4 or 7 stitches, but either way I remember they had to leave it fairly open because it was an animal bite.

hey guys, mines not much as an injury as much as a story, but what the hell.

it happened when i went up the coast to noosa one morning with my dad chasing taylor. we usually go off the first groin from the headland (on the main beach, where the lifesavers tower is); it was pitch black at bout 4 in the morning and we were walking out on the rocks, talking to each other (as you do!) when all of a sudden my dad turned around and i wasnt there. mind you i was carrying the rods and tackle and bait etc so i would of been worried too cos wat was he goin to fish with? anyway, wat had happened was i fell into a massive hole between the rocks, and all that stoped me from goin all the way in was i held myself there with my elbows, nothing on the bottom of me so i was dangling there, stuck, with all the parafanailya (soz bout spelling) in both hands. when i finally got out i think i needed to change my pants. imagine walkin along in pitch black and then just falling down a massive hole.

when day break came, and we were walking back along the groin tro go home, i checked out the hole and it must have been at least 4.5 metres deep, with wave crashing under it.

LOL

TJ

lol none will beat mine... while coming back from a days fishing at nudgee beach i was with my mate tom who was at the classic also... we were in an outrigger canoe with a little 2hp on the back putting along had all the legal gear and lights and the rest of it... it was around 6pm and a 7.8m 150hp boat with no lights, 4 drunken/stoned hoolagans pelting down the canal only 5m from the bank where we thort we were away from boats... and we got hit rite up the bak side where tom was sitting

he got sent flying thru the air and bak into water about 10m away with literally a fillet out of his calve muscle and all i got was a bump on my head... i gess i came out luky

troy

Wankers, i hate holligans. It seems tyson wont tell his story so ill tell it for him. It was about 8pm and we were bringing tysons dads big boat into the ramp. as we pulled in tyson went to jump, he managed jumped and slipped at th same time :laugh: one foot landed on the pontoon and the other one made the water, causeing him to fall into the water durring winter. all the fisherman on the pontoon dropped there shit to grab him. I never laughed so hard in my life. heres tyson covered in water hahahahahaha DONT SLIP TYSON!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I've got a couple of bad stories.some involving me, some my brother

1. My brother got a catfish down at oxely creek, maybe a foot long, while trying to unhook it, he got a pectorial spine all the way up the thumb (lengthways)

2. Another time involving my brother, was when he got bitten by a pike eel (also at oxely creek). the thing bit him on the veins on his wrist. you know the ones. he bled for ages.

3. also, out in the bay while chopping bait, both me and my dad cut the tips off our thumbs with a very very shap knife.

4. Lastly, i once, while trying to unhook a tailor, stuct my thumb in. Nearly cut it right off with those teeth

i have a good one... a few years a go when we had a little 13ft tinnie dad was walking down the boat ramp to hook it onto the trailer and slipped on the slimey ruffed up side of the boat ramp... cut open his arm about 15cm long cut near his elbow and ended up with 9 stitches and had to have it scrubed out before they stitched it

Post edited by: reef_raider, at: 2006/09/21 20:37

haha i feel sorry for that guy off the xxxx add lol... poor fella:laugh:

i was swimming and as huge school of fish swam right past me and i tryed to follow them but i ended up in a big mess with rocks, oysters all around me. my feet were all cut up same with my hands lol.

Post edited by: Robbie, at: 2006/09/25 10:09

buddha89 wrote:

when all of a sudden my dad turned around and i wasnt there. mind you i was carrying the rods and tackle and bait etc so i would of been worried too cos wat was he goin to fish with? anyway, wat had happened was i fell into a massive hole between the rocks

TJ

I feel your pain! I did something simular out at the spit. I was fishing with my dad who had a pressure lantern. Well I was standing on the rocks talking to him with my back to the ocean. Because he had the pressure lantern right next to him I had the bright light in my eyes. I looked away and decided to quickly cross some rocks, jumping to the closest one. Unfortunately it wasn’t a rock that I was jumping on, it was just the burn left in my eye from the evil kero lantern. Well I did fall about 5 meters. But I dint get too hurt because I kind of slid and bumped on the way down. But thing was when I looked up I could see nothing and when they looked down I had disappeared because I had gone down, then sideways, then down again. There was panic on all fronts

I have had a few bad fishing days.

I have stepped on a catfish's dorsal spine, it went through my pluggers and straight up into the sole of my foot. Very rude on the catfish's behalf and killed the fishing atmosphere that's for sure

While cast netting ive gone to grab the net for another throw and wham! bullrout...that f**king hurt like a b*tch

Another time my mate was trying to snap the line because of a snag....after a tug of war the line lets go with sinker still in tact and bang into my left eye. I couldn't see for the next 3 days. It didn't hurt that much just scared the crap out of me because I thought I would go blind in that eye.

both at oxley creek i've had a pike eel tear my wrist up pretty badly and a catfish dorsal spine go 2cm into my finger. the pain at first was excrutiating then relized, how was i going to get the spike with fish attached out of my thumb. we all know that the catfish has barbs pointing backwards so after a couple of failed attempts to pull the spine out the thought crossed my mind to leave the fish on. i finally put a foot either side of the poor cattie (got a bit squashed) and ripped my hand up and the spine tore out. HURT SO MUCH!! went home to soak my thumb some hot water and the pain slowly went away now try to deal with catties as little as possible.

• 5 months later...

heres my injury list

walking along barnacle covered dredge pipe i sliped and went down with one leg either side lacerated the inside of both legs from ankles to upper thighs,smashed my balls then fell sidways around the pipe tearing all the skin off my inner thighs:blink:

slid down slimy boat ramp and cut my heel from side to side 1.5 cm deep. stitched it up myself with a bait needle and some dacron and still went fishing.

2/0 long shank burried in my upper arm by bloke casting next to me.

all 4 hooks of a gang burried in my calf muscle fishing for tailor by bloke next to me casting.

no10 ludrick hook through top of my ear by bloke next to me:angry:

thats why i dont like fishing in crowds any more

2 prongs of a 8/0 trebble in my thigh by me while jaging mullet in NSW.:blush:

washed off the rocks and over a reef by freak wave at iron peg in northern nsw. three of us were washed in one drowned(r.i.p steve sichter).

washed off rocks at schnapper rocks.

washed off currumbin rock.

thrown off front of boat at high speed onto the log we hit in tallebudgera creek breaking my wrist.

been bitten on the fingers by an angry moray eel.

plus hundreds of fish spike injurys from poison critters including stingrays, fortescues, bullrouts, a lion fish and happy moments.

but i've never been spiked by a catfish 'cause i wont touch the slimy things:P

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/11 13:33

Never had anything really serious related to fishing.

Come close, got bumped once in Pumicstone passage after falling of a wake board being towed behind a ski boat. It scared the crap outta me, holding wake board under legs screaming at the ski boat to get the \"#$##@\" back and pick me up! Left leg calf and thigh looked like it had been well sanded with 80 grit.

Otherwise just the usual hooks and trebles, just cut em out and keep fishing, probably needed stitches, but I didn't die.

Archived