Double Island adventure 3

Confused

Well with good reports along the tewantin beach to DI of huge bream and Whiting, Myself and Glen cancelled all chores and ran up saturday afternoon to the beach, Arriving at 6pm to see plenty of ppl fishing :) , The plan was to fish the rocks all night till low tide (midnight) to collect our bait for a morning's gutter session :unsure: , At the rocks i rigged a yakka to my heavy live fibre beach rod with a 6500 drag Alvey loaded with 50lb braid, 100lb leader within 20 mins it screemed off :ohmy: Nice first run peeled around 50m off me on max drag and i'm like UHOH!!:blink: :blink: im seriously putting the most pressure i could possibly apply after about 5mins we realised this was no fish, And called it for a massive stingray and after a backbreaking 1/2 hour we got it as close to the rocks as possible to get a look at a possible 40+ kg stingray, its wing span was at a guess 1.5-2 meters, :woohoo:. We managed alot of just legal bream which went back knowing the morning was going to produce larger ones.

Midnight and low tide drove for 15klm to not find a single pipi :S, So i knew id have a special spot at rainbow to pump some yabbies, :( But the sand banks around there had majorly changed and they were no longer available,:unsure: So i was stressing at the fact that I was needing to try and produce beach worms under headlamp at 1am, well that was a success getting an easy 30 in 1/2 hour Phew!;) ;). Roll out the swags and await the morn,

Up at the crack o dawn to grab 15 or so 35cm Tarwhine and an easy 30 45+ greenback dart, kept all we needed and released the rest! Another great trip to DI..B)

The Arsnel ready for action..

SAFETY TIP. I'd thought id mention please don't wear waders when rock fishing, If you go in obviously you will drown, It was exceptionally calm sat night and i allways carried a knife in the pocket to cut the straps if i did go in. But i highly stress to anyone attempting this type of fishing never to wear them.

Cheers craig..

Leighton wrote:

great repot mate

Just a q, why do you run braid on an alvey?

i originally spooled it when i was going offshore alot and i never had a big enough spinner and hate using overheads, So i spent $200 on good 50lb and have never had the brains to buy a second spool for it when beaching, It works quite well as long as there is no weed around.

honestly terry i'm by know means a big bloke but i was trying to lift it as hard as i could. All i can say is for a heavy surf outfit you will never snap a live fibre, At times i had held it to around 60º and i thought at any moment this rod will snap, It's a shame the camera did'nt capture the stress as much as i'd have liked.

yeah no worries mate will be going again. leaving saturday morn or possibly fri arvo 3/4 of October and comming back monday 6/10 welcome to tag along and pop up a tent, welcome to use our basic facilities, ie: hot shower, shelter just bring ya tent and food and of course rods mate! will be breaking in my new cruiser(92) the old one didnt like driving through a gutter at the top of moreton at 80 klms/h into 3ft of water :blink: :blink: :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

well i'm not sure weather this sounds crazy or is just plain stoopid but if the weather is good benno i'll attempt to get the boat down there for a saturday morning run getting to the campsite on low should be real easy im confident there. Is just the cutting from the beach to Rainbow side i'm stressing about however with 2 cars and maybe yours and a winch i'm pretty sure its possible wish i had an offroad trailer!

Archived