mud island 5.10.08..(whale)

James W

myself , dad and my soon to be brother in law, damo left clontaf and scooted over to mud island before the wind got to messy...didnt really bother trying the deeper reefs and mainly stuck to the shallows today...i managed about half a dozen squire on atomic prongs (which are quickly becoming my fav sp) along with dad getting 2-3 squire on prongs too...damo snared his first ever fish on a artifical (squire) and was stoked too which is always good to seeB) ....so we mucked around there for a hour or two and decided to go for a troll and see if the tailor were in in close again...just before we headed off to the talior spot i had a few casts with the lure i was going to troll (manns stretch 5+) and bang!..i scored a squire!..was really stoked with that as it was unexpected to get a squire on it...also, a few of the squire we got earlier had big cod hot on their tails which had us all keeping the squire in the water longer trying to snare a cod..but they didnt hang round too long.....so a few runs up and down a small bay on the northern side of mud and not even a hit!...so we decided to soak a bit of bait out on the deeper reef and just got pickers and a very small mackerel...heading home we came across a dead whale!...told the coast guard when we got back to the ramp and they had a few calls bout it already..they seem to think it was the whale that was rescued frem shark nets a week or so ago down the gold coast....sorry if the pics are boring but its not everyday ya get this close to a whale around mud island... [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00304_2.jpg

post-180-144598474729_thumb.jpg

i cant believe we still leave shark nets out even in winter and spring when the whales come through... makes me quiver with anger. and as if sharknets work.. i guess it is all a front for our international tourism to get people over here and spending money. :angry: :angry: :angry:

im with ya on that one nitris...we have been saying this for a long time now.......there has to be a better way to put the "peoples" minds at ease with the whole "im gunna get taken by a shark if there is no shark nets there"....the nets are not worth it with the amount of whales that continue to get caught up in em.....or as ya said nitris in the season when the whales are coming through, that should be the time to bring in the nets at least!

jimmybob wrote:

yeah mate that was us..were you the guys trolling near the whale?..sorry if ya were..we didnt notice you were trolling until we were on top of yas..we thought you were just checkin out the whale too!:blush:

bahaha not quite m8, no that wasnt us...

we were the boof heads at the bopat ramp takign 6 million years to get our boat properly on the trailer ( we have lost our trailering touch)....

i was in the black cow boy hat...

the guys with the awusm ferrari outboard:P

sorry if we held things up- we were having a shocker...and thre of our crew piss bolted as soon as we touched land.....

lol, gud to see sum AFOers out and about. would of said hi but dad was in a shockers mood about how many times we tried (and failed0 to get the boat in properly!

-Wiseguy

we dont relle kno the area (we just put round aimlessly) but we manged:

15 winter whiting, thre aw bunch back cause there was so many littlies out there... (not to metion i droped one back into the drink whiel cleaning them...)lol we took then back to my cousins place and had a fish each (mor elike a mouth full hahaha)

um 2 montser toadies, a chopper tailer and two tinyyyyyyyyyyyyyy squire- like 15cm...

wel at least we managed to catch a snapper- which has been our aim for nealry a year.... but we are yet to land a legal one!

-Wiseguy

The sharks will be loving chomping into that whale!!

I have a DVD on great White sharks in South Africa who came accross a dead whale, there were like 10-15 6, great white just tearing into the whale - awesome to watch!

Shark nets are deadly to not only whales but turtles and dolphins to! Pisses me off!

They kill more than they deter and thats what keeps us sleeping at night.

I have been to the shark institute in Durban South Africa where shark nets are used, they cut open a few big bullies...... man they had everything from human remains to number plates in their stomachs!

Poor whale!

Archived