Raby Bay

Aaron H

Ahhhhh! :angry: the frustration of forgetting to take wire. In my new years resolution of not being a walking tackle store and only taking what I need when I go fishing, stupid me decided not to check the box of lead I took out of my bag for my wire traces. After arriving at Raby Bay about 3:30am I threw out a floating pilly and a floating NP dam garfish on gang hooks on a 40lb mono leader. The baitrunner went of on the garish and what felt like a good fish ended up cutting me off half way through the leader. Ok a few noahs in the area i thought, so I went to find the wire and guess what this idiot had left at home. While doing this the other reel starts screaming and mid run the line is cut as well. Three more lost fish (Sharks I think but did not get a look, normally can land Mackeral on gang hooks) and forty mozzie bites, (also forgot the bushmans repellant, well the missus took it out of my car and forgot to put it back in but I wont go into that:angry: ) I had enough and went home. Moral of the story, always check to see what u are taking out of your bag, assume nothing as a wise man once said assumption is the mother of all stuff ups (thought I would keep it clean)

You poor bugger, all that effort for bust offs. Oh well atleas you knew where to be.

Here's another saying I got from Feral

\"If it fits it's packed\" or \"It if you can carry it you can pack it\":woohoo: :woohoo:

Mate I made the same deal with my self - last boat outing I only took 4 rods and 2 tackle bags - I letf everything a home.

Exactly what I was thinking Troy, as I fish there quite often for Tailor and Snapper and this is the first time the big beasties caused me any problems out there.

Never tried the gar James, my dad used to eat them down south but they always look like they would be full of bones to me

• 1 month later...

the taste of freshwater gar depends on what they are feeding on- if you roll them with a lot of pressure you can seperate the bones from the flesh very cleanly and they taste fantastic from a fast running river with not much weed- but from a lake they tend to be a bit weedy. all freshwater fish should be cooked with a liberal amount of salt rubbed into their skin for taste. try lightly battering them in tempura- they are quite sweet and the flavour is excellent...

Archived