I'm no Youngy

max pwr

Bought two jackall mask vibs the other day at BCF and tried them out in the Coomera on Sunday arvo in my jack spot, caught about 5 moses perch and a 42cm flattie in half an hour or so which is the best hb success I've ever had. Then I hooked something a little bigger which took me straight to a snag pretty much right under my boat in 4m of water and I lost the lure...... So what do I do? chuck the other one on and lose that first cast then another damiki vibe lost first cast too. Expensive ten minutes for sure :(

Anyway, bought another four jackalls and decided to head to the broadwater and get onto some jew like Youngy does, only problem is that I don't have the first clue where to go or how to catch a Jew. Decided to find some deep water cos jew like holes on low tide right? So i found some water about 8m deep and anchored up in the bloody wind for a couple hours with massive cruisers blasting past me creating tidal waves......chucking out my new vibs like a madman again and again pulling up every bloody bit of shell and weed off the bottom. screw this.

Decided to head up the north arm of the Coomera and check it out cos now i got a boat :woohoo: so I don't have to paddle a bloody kayak everywhere anymore, much nicer conditions outta the wind and played around with my vibs but still no hits. By now the tide was on the turn nearly so off to my usual jack spot I go.

Was there for about ten minutes and three guys in a polycraft show up and anchor just about where I was casting my bait :angry: Oh well, I don't own the river but there's no way I would fish that close to someone else. Some bait started getting hit up against the mangroves but I think it was mainly small trevally but the other guys were getting pretty excited and called it for a jack, then one of them went for a close cast and spent the next ten minutes untangling themselves and the anchor rope and their line from the bank :lol: Fun to watch

I think they cracked the poops and asked me how long I was hanging round cos they wanted to fish EXACTLY where I was :huh: I said I'd make room for them and they could fish either in front of me or behind me, their choice but that wasn't good enough so they left. Bloody hell. One of them asked me if I'd got much and i told them no, it's a bit early yet and it'll pick up soon.

Still nothing on the vibs at all So I cracked out the back-up camo stick with the tip missing and my D.A.M. reel ( absolute piece of $270 crap :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ) with 14lb braid, 20lb mono leader and a 3/0 1/8 ounce jighead loaded up with a whole peeled green prawn. Caught a couple moses perch and two 32cm plus bream .....yawn

Had bugger all line on the spool cos said reel loves tangling up any type of line you care to lose and of course it got hit by something solid, the drag was close to locked and started turning its head and bringing it towards the boat then it woke up in a big way and started ripping line off the spool and rubbing up against some snags. I wasn't getting too excited cos there's some big ass catties round there and they fight like that too :angry:

That all changed when I finally got a look at it JACK :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I've had similar sized ones close but got busted off at the last second so I was really worried about stuffing it up, had a bit of trouble leading it to the net cos the current was really picking up but finally got it in the boat and the second I lay it down the jighead just popped out of it's mouth :S so close!

post-5844-144598741093_thumb.jpg

Sorry bout the crappy pic but it was taken on my phone......

If the guys fishing near me are reading this, next time hang around fellas I left the fish still biting......plenty room for everyone :cheer:

Yeah mate..... jigheads outfish sinker/leader combination everytime for me. I use an unweighted hook if I can but if the tide is ripping the bit of lead on the jighead helps get the bait on the bottom. My theory is that when a fish picks up the bait even though there's lead on the jighead the fish thinks it's the weight of the bait and that's gotta be better than a fish swimming away with a hook in it's gob then feeling the weight of a sinker when it stretches the leader taut.....that's just my theory anyway :blush:

sick jack mate well done, they can be pretty fiesty at times and there not keen on hitting the surface are they, the one i landed that was near the fifty mark was on 24kg braid and it still took drag!!!!

on a side note, is loading up a jighead with bait common practise, never really tried it??

callum

Gotta remember though mate the way we were fishing they only need to run 50cm in ANY DIRECTION to bust you up, so 24kg is usually insufficient!

Getting home in time for barra season to open, you should come up again dude- I need someone to snap me out of my laziness again so that I'll actually go fishing for longer than 2 hours :whistle: :blush:

Archived