Catching Ox Eye Herring/ Tarpon

PREDATOR

Hi Guys,

I believe I came across some ox eye herring the other day near my place. They had very large tail fins breaking the surface and almost seemed to be gulping for air in-between chasing small baitfish.

I had a quick google search and found they might take spinner baits and small poppers. I had a crack, no beans.

Can anyone please suggest tips/techniques on catching these guys? from their body/profile, they look like they would go hard. Also, can you target them at night?

Thanks everyone!

Hey mate. I've had success on finnicky tarpon with either small grub tail plastics in the 1.5inch size or throwing small sinking stickbaits like a maria blues code in the clear/shimmering colour.

A quick walk the dog style retrieve worked the few times I've run into them.

2 hours ago, PREDATOR said:

Hi Guys,

I believe I came across some ox eye herring the other day near my place. They had very large tail fins breaking the surface and almost seemed to be gulping for air in-between chasing small baitfish.

I had a quick google search and found they might take spinner baits and small poppers. I had a crack, no beans.

Can anyone please suggest tips/techniques on catching these guys? from their body/profile, they look like they would go hard. Also, can you target them at night?

Thanks everyone!

They shore do sound like Tarpon. I have caught them on fly quite well. They were hard to catch on plastics the other day at Tingalpa but I had one hit and one on for a few seconds. Fun as hell to chase them with surface lures. When they are on they take just about anything. 

2 hours ago, PREDATOR said:

from their body/profile, they look like they would go hard. Also, can you target them at night?

They do go hard and jump around a lot so lots of fun to catch. Makes up for them not being a notable table fish. I have never fished them at night so cant help with that sorry. 

Good luck and please let us know how you go. I'd love to read a report of your trip. Even if you don't catch one. 

Archived