Canoe Project

timtam_

I know there's a few DIY heads on here so I thought I'd throw this up so you can follow along. 

Uni and work are killing me at the moment but I picked up an old canoe with the paddles from an old bloke moving houses for $50 - Happy days. 

Having not yet caught a wild bass or SEQ Jack, my plan is to get the White Pointer ready for bass season in the next few weeks. Sanding has commenced, then I'll patch her up, spray her in a hammertone grey, add some stickers and then I just need time to use the bloody thing. As it's a pretty blank canvas, I'll only be adding some paint, pinchweld around the edges, a few bits of carpet here and there, and a rubber trim around the outside where the old one used to be. 

Anybody got any good ideas that I can throw in to make life that little bit easier? (Obviously don't want to add anything with weight.)

Cheers

IMG_1875.thumb.JPG.e5755d0621b133e325595ba95fc52b69.JPGIMG_1876.thumb.JPG.2f10bb2a7593e031595c47d3a6c3872e.JPGIMG_1881.thumb.JPG.ff0a5aef22fcf29b1c3767f18bbc2eaa.JPGIMG_1878.thumb.JPG.4cb5fc3e87ca9d8877932caa17ded5ba.JPGIMG_1879.thumb.JPG.f5920e8dc3205eb94a1c8a78f2c6554e.JPGIMG_1877.thumb.JPG.5cf524bdf0a6c4fc0f025494dbbe92d0.JPGIMG_1872.thumb.JPG.087521d4d044ab02151472d982e1e1bf.JPGIMG_1873.thumb.JPG.c757c474d2441893c05be39a2ea2bbdd.JPG

7 minutes ago, timtam_ said:

Anybody got any good ideas that I can throw in to make life that little bit easier?

The white pointer! cracker.

are you going to paddle with a canoe paddle or a kayak double ended paddle? I fitted 2 little mounts on either side so I could just drop the paddle when I got a strike as i found i would put it down and it would end up in the water... and I would have to hand paddle back to it... I suppose a tether line would suffice. 

I hope you get stick into them. Lots of stories of bass around the little creeks western side of brisbane. I need to have a crack too 

:)

Always love a project! You've got to have hope. Throw on a few stainless tie down points at the bow and stern, and a few rod holders

I did up an old punt last year for the exact same reason, haven't used it this year since January. Let me know if you need any custom stickers, happy to do them up here at work.

And if you are heading out, let us know I'll tag along in mine!

ahahah thanks gents. Yes @Drop Bear I haven't decided on the best method yet. Just using single ended canoe paddles.  Might even just opt for a saddle on either side of the seat so i can drop the paddle above my lap to save tethering every time. 

Awesome suggestions @Tybo. I'll have to get a little design together to mimic White Pointer :P  and I'll definitely opt for the SSS fixings as opposed to a piece of rope for the handle. 

1 hour ago, timtam_ said:

Awesome suggestions @Tybo. I'll have to get a little design together to mimic White Pointer :P  and I'll definitely opt for the SSS fixings as opposed to a piece of rope for the handle. 

When you've got a design, flick it through to me with some dimensions and I'll be happy to do you some decals. I've got two white flush mount rod holders that I took off my boat, you're welcome to them too if you can make them work. I was going to use them on my punt, but I would've had to put them into the seats and they were too long. I'll take a photo and see what you think, they'll only sit around my shed and gather dust anyhow.

Archived