What Rod?

kingfisheroo

19 hours ago, kingfisheroo said:

Hey guys

Im heading up to Bateau bay soon and want to do some rock luring for mackerel tuna and stuff like that and i need some help with what kind of rod i should buy. I need it to be 3 piece, and if you have any tips for that kind of fishing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Jorden

@Do$tylz any of the travel Favorites suit?

I was hunting around for similar travel rods about a year ago and found  Hamachi XOS GT'n'Doggie rods

I had always used two piece butt join rods but got sick of them being broken regardless of what I put them in with airlines and decided to look for 3 piece

ive got the 8'2 and use them mainly on boats and for the odd occasion when I go land-based game, but they also do a 10' for rock and shore fishing  they are 3 piece so great for travel 

the 8'2 packs down to about 90cm i would say, ive done heaps of fishing with both and they are probably the best popping / lure rods that ive owned 

They are pricey (made me hesitant at first) but lifetime warranty, cast extremely well and loads of power,  I use the PE3-5 for casting smaller poppers or baits and the PE8-13 when I need to stop the big VW GT's on the back of surf breaks

The PE3-5 would be perfect for Mack Tuna and anything a little bigger that turns up off the rocks, its slings metal slug and medium poppers very well

Ps

to get the distance from the rocks go with a good quality 30lb and decent shock leader it will be heaps of strength for the fish you're after and will cast just that bit further than 50lb 

probably getting a little techinical but a very good wind on leader knot will also help with the distance,  sooner or later you will want max casting distance from the rocks 

a PR Bobbin knot or similar so it has nice tapered front end for going out smoothly through the rod guides, plenty of youtube vids as to how to tie with a  bobbin tool also very similar knots can be done without the tool 

On 9/8/2017 at 7:19 PM, jigster88 said:

a PR Bobbin knot or similar so it has nice tapered front end for going out smoothly through the rod guides, plenty of youtube vids as to how to tie with a  bobbin tool also very similar knots can be done without the tool 

@Luvit showed me these up at 1770. Cool way to tie a knot. I will have to buy the Bobbin and have a go. FG is just not as cool haha. Also interesting that you can taper them. I didn't know that thanks @jigster88.

On 9/6/2017 at 5:04 PM, kingfisheroo said:

and if you have any tips for that kind of fishing would be greatly appreciated

@Angus does a bit of deeper rock fishing. He uses larger plastics. I'm yet to go to the rocks with him so cant give you any more info. Perhaps I will get an invite to Straddie soon :whistle: :lol:

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

@Luvit showed me these up at 1770. Cool way to tie a knot. I will have to buy the Bobbin and have a go. FG is just not as cool haha. Also interesting that you can taper them. I didn't know that thanks @jigster88.

for 30lb i should have put nice slim profile rather than a tapered front end, i do always taper the back end 

cut your tag end off on a very shallow angle and round the end of it (so no point to go into the braid) spiral down with the bobbin as u usually would and alternate the half hitches and finish by pulling out a  big loop and coming back towards the tag end spiralling 10 to 15 or so times inside the loop around the main and pull taught to lock down cut the tage off very short and a tiny spot of super glue on the tag and roll the tag with your fingers so flattens out around the rest of the braid  - not sure I've explained that well but it will give it a reasonable taper to the back end so it has nothing bulky, the front end is already pretty slim but if I'm using say 130lb braid I will get a bit bees wax and mold at front end for taper there as well, only a very small amount 

Totally agree its the coolest knot going, any time some one new sees me tie the next thing i usually see is they have gone a bought a bobbin knotter 

1 hour ago, jigster88 said:

for 30lb i should have put nice slim profile rather than a tapered front end, i do always taper the back end 

cut your tag end off on a very shallow angle and round the end of it (so no point to go into the braid) spiral down with the bobbin as u usually would and alternate the half hitches and finish by pulling out a  big loop and coming back towards the tag end spiralling 10 to 15 or so times inside the loop around the main and pull taught to lock down cut the tage off very short and a tiny spot of super glue on the tag and roll the tag with your fingers so flattens out around the rest of the braid  - not sure I've explained that well but it will give it a reasonable taper to the back end so it has nothing bulky, the front end is already pretty slim but if I'm using say 130lb braid I will get a bit bees wax and mold at front end for taper there as well, only a very small amount 

Totally agree its the coolest knot going, any time some one new sees me tie the next thing i usually see is they have gone a bought a bobbin knotter 

Great info thanks so much

They are at the hexy end of rods, I'm wrapped with them

FishingAndBoatingDeals.com occasionally clears superseded or cosmetic damaged, XOS GT'n'Doggie model rods via eBay auctions, that can be a good way to get one, around half price

Hamachi do make cheaper rods like the 7'6 Nano Ultra cast, which are a 2 piece butt joint, I think the hard thing is going to be finding a 3 piece rod that's up to the task in a low price range

Plenty of two piece rods would fit the bill, the only thing I can suggest is if you stick with reasonable size chrome slugs / slices for lures, they will suit the mack tuna down to the ground and also still give you reasonable distance with a cheap rod

I can't think of any brands but maybe look for a 3 piece 10' surf rod  e-glass blank with a solid glass tip, 30lb - 50lb line rating, 30 - 100g casting weight rating,  

look for a slim diameter blank so about 20 -22mm reel seat as that will be more comfortable for constant lure casting than a typical thick diameter set and forget beach / surf rod

it will certainly be weightier than rods like the Doggies , but if it's for occasional use something like that should do the job - 

Archived