Wanting To Case Tilapia In NPD

Bassnutter78

Hi all. I am a keen bass fisho with lures. I have gotten my boating permit for North pine dam. In the coming year I am keen to chase the tilapia population as well. Can anyone suggest places and time of year to chase this pests. My goal is to catch them with lures. I was thinking of trout type spinners and the like. Bait fishing for them is also a plan. What baits are best?

Any response would be gratefully appropriated.

Chris

With the weather warming up, they'll be starting to breed soon. If you can find a bank where they're making their nests, that would be a good place to target them on lures.

Given the nesting density, it clear why fishing is not really a good method to control the tilapia population!!

Tilapia nests NPD.jpg

7 minutes ago, Luc53 said:

With the weather warming up, they'll be starting to breed soon. If you can find a bank where they're making their nests, that would be a good place to target them on lures.

Given the nesting density, it clear why fishing is not really a good method to control the tilapia population!!

Tilapia nests NPD.jpg

Thanks man. Where is that? If u don't mind me asking.

cheers

Chris

been few years since we targeted them, usually only bother in summer when the bass are not biting.

i think that photo was the bottom of koala straight. Water levels are way down from when we were catching them, so I cant improve on Luke's advice.

but they grow big and they go hard.

Tilapia 39cm 2012 NPD.jpg

There are some good facebook sites too that specifically target pest species. SEQ carp and Tilly busters etc. 

They mostly say that worms are the best bait but also rate bread and spam. Most use a float and a small hook. These groups try and catch all sizes of fish focusing on numbers over catching big ones. They use 1/0 to #8 size hooks and small sinkers.

There are many creeks and lakes around Brisbane that also hold these fish.

Recently it has been illegal to fish in the springfield lakes area. This had been a popular place to target them. I think that some people were dumping the fish in bins and leaving litter and fishing equipment behind causing complaints.

I don't know NPD so can't give any spots but if you targeted the shallow areas with floats I'm sure you could catch quite a few. 

Please remember that it is illegal to transport the fish alive or dead and you can not take them to eat. They must not be returned to the water alive or dead. 

Ironically you can buy them in fish shops to eat as regulations are different in some states. This seems to send mixed messages to me. 

There is more information at fisheries on what you have to do if you catch a tilapia. It is unlikely that line fishing alone will be able to control this pest but it sure wont hurt. 

Good luck, more info at this site

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/pest-fish/noxious-fish/tilapia

• Tilapia is a restricted noxious fish under the Biosecurity Act 2014.          
  • it must not be kept, fed, given away, sold, or released into the environment without a permit.          
  • if caught these species must be immediately humanely killed and disposed of responsibly away from the water body.          
  • by law, everyone has a general biosecurity obligation (GBO) to take reasonable and practical steps to minimise the risks associated with restricted noxious fish under their control.

Recently it has been illegal to fish in the springfield lakes area. This had been a popular place to target them. I think that some people were dumping the fish in bins and leaving litter and fishing equipment behind causing complaints.

As I understand the legislation, you have to dump them in the bins since it is illegal to transport them.

17 minutes ago, raymus said:

As I understand the legislation, you have to dump them in the bins since it is illegal to transport them

Yep its a bit tricky. you are supposed to bury them above the high water level or dump them asap. If people put them in bins in popular areas they will stink and people will complain. I don't think the legislation is well developed.

14 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

Dont lower your standards, stick to chasing bass on lures.Its illegal to take the tillies for eating and there is no way you can eradicate them by catching them.

Dino

Hi Dino,

I know taking tillies r illegal. But for me. I have chased bass for the last 16 years or so. I had a thought of chasing tillies on lures. It's the channelling part of what I thought of drives me. I'll be happy to catch one on lures tracking them and I'll be happy and move on. 

Chris 

• 1 year later...

Archived