Small Metallic Spoon Lures In The Surf

raymus

Do you think I could have any success catching fish of any kind casting a very small spoon lure in the surf on one of the beaches on the Sunshine or Gold Coast?

59ba3291ddae2_ScreenShot2017-09-14at5_40_39PM.png.f66188f9142792f669db1c8fe118d6df.png

I've been consuming a lot of fishing content on Youtube when I am stuck at home and unable to fish. And one of the videos I find interesting is this guy using a rod, reel and small spoon lure in the surf. He is using a ~3 gram Acme Kastmaster Lure, and catching a few different small fish.

It seems that these kinds of lures are often much bigger and used for Pelagic fish that live in deep water far from shore. So I don't know if buying a similar lure would be a total waste of money when I don't have a boat or kayak. I don't want to take any fish from the surf, I just want to see what is there. I really like the look of what he calls a "houndfish" in the video. 

24 minutes ago, raymus said:

a very small spoon lure in the surf on one of the beaches on the Sunshine or Gold Coast?

Hell yes you will. Not everytime but yes. 

Really try to mix up the speed and type of retreaval. from super fast to... "I can't believe I'm letting it sit on the bottom for so long" slow. 

Also try small plastic lures for bream, flathead, dart, Moses perch. Paddle tails are easy to use and use light weight jig heads with about 2/0 hooks. Again, its hard to explain how important pausing your retrieve is. let it sit!!! :)

Archived