Wanderers Do 1770

tugger

Well i caught up with plenty of the Wanderers crew in 1770 over the 2 weeks i was up there we had a big crew in town with Lance, Julian, Robbie, Brendon, Cheech, Damo, Luke, Wayne, Brad and Leslie all resting up inbetween fishing trips in 2 rented houses. I was crewing on Brads boat and the 1st trip we had Leslie join us as well this was a 3 day 2 night stay on the reef and Leslie caught some of her 1st ever northern species with some big coral trout, red throat emperor, tuskies all caught by Leslie.

We went snorkelling and Leslie got a bit worried by a black tip reef shark that swam by us she turned and went back to the boat but i did talk her around to having another swim a few minutes later only to be circled by another white tip reef shark this time she stuck to me like glue but i showed her some spectacular reef and fish this place holds. We all caught lots of good trout, cod, red throat, tuskies, moses, sharks, spangelds, hussar and i dropped a big red emperor. On the last day we headed for fitsroy lagoon to have a swim and spend lunch time there to show Leslie the lagoons beauty on the way there we past a humback whale mother and calf in 8m of water over really white sand and crystal clear water the calf wanted to check us out so we stopped still and had these whales swim right up to us.

We headed for home after a rest after lunch and got back to the ramp to see Wayne loaded his boat on the trailer 1st trip down and fish and boat clean we all had a few days to relax in town. The next trip was planned with the weather looking good for another 3 days out on the reef the boats fueled we headed for the bunker group again it was just Brad and i this time so we fished hard and found new ground to pull fish from

The 1st day was hard going finding the bigger fish but Brad did get his biggest trout ever and what a stonker at 80cm we did find a good way to fish the top of the reef able to drift slowly away from the edge slowly getting deeper and passing over goood structure. These drifts could last up to an hour before having to drive back to the edge of the reef which was still only a few hundred meters away. The 1st night we rafted up the 3 boats and cooked diner and had a few cold brews sharing the fishing stories of the trip so far the night was long for a few of us and i think i was lucky to have had 2 hours sleep before dawn and the start of our next days fishing.

The rewards soon came especially on the 2nd day with the weather and current dropping right off big trout and cod were thick and by 10am the fish went off the bite so Brad and i went for a swim and an early lunch relaxing for a couple of hours behind the reef. The arvo was a bit slow so only an hour or so of fishing we did before going to anchor where we stop for the night and chill especially after the big night before.

The 3rd day started a litlle slow and we had a cut off time of 10am to head home as the weather was due to turn windy but we started to find some good trout i was fishing light using 30lb braid and 50lb leader on 5000 sustain and 15 to 25lb gforce extreme 7foot rod. This was being tested on the big trout then in the last hour before heading back in i hooked something big by far it was the best fish i had hooked on this rod it was running hard the line singing as it went through the buckled rod.

I was shaking knowing this could be a trophy fish after many thumping runs i started to turns its head and get him away from the bottom. My heart sank when i saw it was a big red emperor and could still lose it before finally netting a 10kg + Red the boys in the other boats could easily here my jubilation from a few hundred meters away. After a few pictures we kept fishing and luckly another good trout was caught before heading in at 10am beating the windy change that blew through just after we cleaned the boat a few more pictures finished the day before beer oclock. 

We finished off our 1770 trip with a night down at the tree bar watching the sunset over the water, plenty of laughs while retelling our stories  ended a awesome couple of weeks up at this little patch of paradise. Here are some of the photos out on the bunker group the southern great barrier reef.

20170911_073859.thumb.jpg.6b2a9554d1bf8ff3dc032d91e662718c.jpg

20170912_175233.thumb.jpg.c101d65e9466b37989c7fc0f688bae52.jpg

20170912_175256.thumb.jpg.57f753476b5801cc5d823261a33987dd.jpg

20170913_090457.thumb.jpg.77dbd3dda8aa5228b4620813f94d9595.jpg

20170914_071633.thumb.jpg.b435e0095adf8d079a88c436898478cb.jpg

39 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Top trip.

Fattest trout I've seen, excellent Brad. 

It was so good to be close by when you got that red, it certainly put a decent bend in the rod. 

I'll have to posts some photos soon of the trip. 

lucky to get it but with fancy boat and net work it was a breeze;), and it was a great trip lesley loved it  even know she thinks the sharks were stalking her 

21 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Gee that trout of Brad's is a fat bugger.

Awesome red too Mark, well done.

Brads trout went hard to and we missed the 1st net shot because it was still feisty, the Red was what I was waiting for and pretty rapped to get him on the new light rod it went hard on that gear

18 hours ago, Luvit said:

Top trip.

Fattest trout I've seen, excellent Brad. 

It was so good to be close by when you got that red, it certainly put a decent bend in the rod. 

I'll have to posts some photos soon of the trip. 

Those Reds would have been feeding down alongside that structure that's what we worked out it was, certainly fun watching that rod buckle as much as it did

7 hours ago, demarc said:

Awesome report Mark. Was an awesome two weeks. Enjoyed it so much. At the peak I had 9 blokes in the house and 4 boats fishing Sykes. This is living! ☺ I got home 1600 Saturday.

Shame you were not closer  to our house that is a top.spot close to everyting in town still was a great trip we had some memorable catches

Great report thanks mate. It was a great trip and fantastic to have you and so much experience up there. Hopefully I can keep my dive gear out of the petrol next time and we can have a swim. 

Some cracking fish there. I am still keen to get a Red on one of these trips :) We are charging through the fillets and I'm so glad we have heaps to go. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great report thanks mate. It was a great trip and fantastic to have you and so much experience up there. Hopefully I can keep my dive gear out of the petrol next time and we can have a swim. 

Some cracking fish there. I am still keen to get a Red on one of these trips :) We are charging through the fillets and I'm so glad we have heaps to go. 

It was a bugger your gear got soaked in petrol the reef is spectacular I have snorkeled the reef up off arlie beach and cairns and I reckon the southern end around the bunker group is better. It was my 1st Red emperor for a few trips and pretty stoked he come along it was an epic fight on the light gear. Got to come along on the next trip Robbie and you can try for that Red they are something special to land as they are the brutes of the reef.

1 hour ago, straddiebrad said:

iam looking at buying a house over straddie might have to sell the big boat and get something a bit smaller for my island home time will tell,i still might keep it just not sure yet,hope to get one more 1770 trip in .

You'll always have a spot on my boat Brad.

Archived