Water In Fuel

Garfield28

G'day all,

On Sunday I went out with my boys to drop the crab pots and throw out a line. Started off normal left the boat ramp, went past the 4 knots area and opened her up and she was doing the normal 60-65 kph and all was good. Stopped at an area to drop the pots and knocked her out of gear while I pinned some bait in the pot and dropped them both, then things didn't seem right. 
Started to creep off from the spot and pushed the throdle down and it was going but not fast, it was like it wasn't responding pretty much. Anyhow did this for about a 150 meters then just conked out. Tried to kick her over and she wouldn't start. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and it took a bit but she kicked over but there was plumes of smoke and it was running crook then conk out again. In the end I called marine rescue for a tow and got towed back to the boat ramp, and when I got home I was talking to a mate about it and he said sounded like dirty fuel or water in the fuel. He asked if I had a water separator which I said I do. He asked had I drained it, and me being a boating novice and dummy said I didn't even know that you had to. After I hung up I went up into the boat to suss out this water separator, and sure enoghe I loosen the little but underneath and there is heaps of water in it. 

I'm no expert and I know nothing much about outboards but I believe I have water in the fuel. My question and concern is, now that it has caused problems with the motor it obviously got in and I'm concerned now that my outboard is stuffed. Is this the case - or is there anutgany I can do to get it firing again? 

Thanks
Geoff

Like Aussie said it is unlikely that you have stuffed it. Just do all the stuff he said. A good idea is to pour the fuel into an empty water tank like the ones you get at a water fountain. This way you can see how much water is in the fuel. It is reasonably common to get dodgy fuel from service stations. If you bought the fuel recently I would be having a word to the place you bought it. 

8 hours ago, Garfield28 said:

Thanks for the replies men. 

I have taken it to the local marine mechanic this arvo. Hopefully its not too bad and I can have it back on the water sooner rather than later, I need to get out and collect my pots too, any money they would have been full of crabs seeing I couldn't collect them.

haha the pots will be chockers. 🏆

Mate we had a mechanic tell us our motor needed a full rebuild after we got some water in the fuel. I had no idea at the time but now I am not so sure it needed it and I really wish that I had drained the tanks and lines and filters and put some fresh fuel through it first. 

Not saying anything about your mechanic but if he wants to take a lot of your money I would be trying what Aussie said first. 

12 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

haha the pots will be chockers. 🏆

Mate we had a mechanic tell us our motor needed a full rebuild after we got some water in the fuel. I had no idea at the time but now I am not so sure it needed it and I really wish that I had drained the tanks and lines and filters and put some fresh fuel through it first. 

Not saying anything about your mechanic but if he wants to take a lot of your money I would be trying what Aussie said first. 

Yeah mate spoke with the mechanic this morning and told him I believe its water in the fuel and he said he'll clean the carby etc and drain all of the fuel in the tank too.... bloody near on full too it is 😞

Garfield28 that sucks arse man! Hopefully you get the problem sorted. I agree with the others if you just filled up I'd be asking questions re fuel.... Personally I only run Caltex or Shell in the boat mainly because I have had problems with diesel from other companies so i tend to use only diesel from the two... Like my cruiser though I do tend to run an pre fuel filter in the fuel line of the boat as well for water... I have two filters in the fuel lines in my i30 diesel, 80 series cruiser and also the boat.... Just a precaution as I'd rather be over safe then sorry...

13 hours ago, natang said:

Garfield28 that sucks arse man! Hopefully you get the problem sorted. I agree with the others if you just filled up I'd be asking questions re fuel.... Personally I only run Caltex or Shell in the boat mainly because I have had problems with diesel from other companies so i tend to use only diesel from the two... Like my cruiser though I do tend to run an pre fuel filter in the fuel line of the boat as well for water... I have two filters in the fuel lines in my i30 diesel, 80 series cruiser and also the boat.... Just a precaution as I'd rather be over safe then sorry...

note to self... put in a water separator... 

Archived