Freshwater Fishing And Camping

river rat

I have decided to start camping again after years away, I have a tent and all the other items to camp with. I don't have a 4wd just a falcon to carry supplies. the problem is where to go. I live in Jimboomba. I am looking for somewhere I can camp bank fish and red claw. I work a rotating shift so plan on camping during the week avoiding the weekend crowds. any suggestion would be helpful.

Riverrat

I take it you are looking at freecamping?

It is fairly regulated close to brisbane and i think that you will have to travel out to Yelarbon, Gundy way to avail yourself to some of the old stock routes . http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Goondiwindi.htm  has info. 

It is 60 years since iwas that way but we used to get to all spots in an ordinary old vanguard. Just do not attempt it in wet weather unless you have a set of chains as it is all black soil.

Have a look at some of the grey nomad sites as they will also have info.

Cheers

Ray

Somerset  and Wivenhoe camp  fees outrageous. Plenty good options at Maroon plus redclaw. Moogerah good camping and fishing but do your research re    redclaw atMoogerah when we were there last year campground said plenty of redclaw but when we got there locals said no redclaw. Problem with maroon,moogerah and somerset is the amount of ski traffic. Mate is heading to Borumba on wednesday for a fortnight so I will have info when he returns.

Cheers

Ray

21 hours ago, river rat said:

I would not mind paying for a camping spot next to fish/red clawing water with in reason of course

We have done really well catching redclaw off the bank at Wivenhoe. Summerset has 2 great campgrounds. If you soak a few worms off the bank of Summerset you will catch fish. 

12 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Somerset  and Wivenhoe camp  fees outrageous. Plenty good options at Maroon plus redclaw. Moogerah good camping and fishing but do your research re    redclaw atMoogerah when we were there last year campground said plenty of redclaw but when we got there locals said no redclaw. Problem with maroon,moogerah and somerset is the amount of ski traffic. Mate is heading to Borumba on wednesday for a fortnight so I will have info when he returns.

Cheers

Ray

Yes the ski boats at Summerset are something that I avoid. I have seen boat ramp rage a few times there. Take Rayke's advice. He is the king. 

Just been speaking to Rick he arrived at Borumba this  morning and is staying  at the park just below the dam wall.The park has been upgraded with new office block facilities and new lessee who is very helpful. $10 per person per night and extra $10 for power.He went for a run up to the entrance of Yabba creek to place his shrimp and redclaw pots and had a short fish while he was there and caught 10 bass all around 40cm in half an hour. Other campers there told him that the redclaw are also plentiful.

Cheers

Ray

Heard from Rick yesterday. They have copped a bit of bad weather but they are getting plenty of bass . They have tried 4 different places for redclaw and only caught 3 small ones so are giving up on thepots as a waste of time. Dam has risen 3% and will probably spill today. If they get any more rain in the catchment he will pull the pin as the road will be closed

Cheers

Ray

22 hours ago, benno573 said:

cressbrook dam is another option.  redclaw can be hit and miss but top spot and generally not too crowded.  can get fish landbased but often have to walk a bit.  also a 6kn limit on the dam so no ski lice to be seen.

6 knot sounds good to me. Are power boats ok? 

My apologies, i got this completely wrong... 8kn limit "offshore" and 4kn limit close in... my apologies for the oversight... 🙄 i will give myself an uppercut forthwith.

Outboards are permitted.

Check the below, has all the info required:

http://www.tr.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sport-recreation/lakes-dams/1976-lake-cressbrook

I am quite concerned about one thing though:

"Alcohol is not permitted at this location."

Like what the actual .... 😫

1 minute ago, benno573 said:

My apologies, i got this completely wrong... 8kn limit "offshore" and 4kn limit close in... my apologies for the oversight... 🙄 i will give myself an uppercut forthwith.

Outboards are permitted.

Check the below, has all the info required:

http://www.tr.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sport-recreation/lakes-dams/1976-lake-cressbrook

I am quite concerned about one thing though:

"Alcohol is not permitted at this location."

Like what the actual .... 😫

Counts a few of us out. 🙂

Archived