Jarvis Walker Water Snake help!!

sax

There are two different models of of 44lb transom mount motors by Jarvis Walker. (both Water Snakes)

A bloke on ebay is selling them both at really good prices. from what i can see.

/>http://stores.ebay.com.au/Allround-Angler-Brand-Name-Fishing_Electric-Trolling-Motors_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ4511176QQftidZ2QQtZkm

If anyone has anything to say about these 44lb transom mount engines or owns one themselves, pipe up! I cant decide which one i want. and if there is much difference between the two.

One thing that has me stumped is why is the more expensive model is suitable for 3.5+ metre boats and the cheaper model is suitable for 4.0+ metre boats.

Any opinions welcome!!

Im going to put it on a small 2 man catamaran.

The motor size i require is guess work really as i cant find any info from anyone who has done anything like it.

I will be purchasing the battery after i get the motor on the advice of a place like battery world.

Well id get 150amp deep cycle so you get 3 hrs use off the electric at full ball and u wont always use them at full so u no 5-6hrs use, If you not gonna use it for that amount of time then get a 120amp or something. But Id get atleast 100amps. Whats the price difference between the 44 and the 50lb?

last years models

44lb = $325.00

50lb = $375.00

latest models

44lb = $359.00

50lb = $389.00

check it out here

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C12&from=R40&satitle=jarvis+walker&sacat=158388%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=4064&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fgtp=

thanks for the advice on the batteries, ill be getting the 150amp by the sounds.

i saw a 55 lb transom mount eleccy, 12 mths old in the trading post for $370, dunno if that is cheap, i just bought a all rounder battery for $190, at bias they are $265 at their best price, it's a cranking, as well as a deep cycle battery, it was 120 amp hrs and 825 cca, so bargain with the buggars;)

just make sure u shop arround for ur battery.. there is a huge difference in price.. i got mine from a company called atlas batteries.. the size will matter on how long u want to use it.. but seriously.. i have a 55pound thrust minn kota and a 120amp battery. i usually only drain 1\4 battery when im out for a few hours.. never taken it under half charge.. just remember the bigger the battery the heavier it is.. mine is like 30kg.. and a few things to remember i leave my outboard in the water sorta to use like a rudder ( i got foot control on my electric as well as autopiolit) but i always put my outboard in neutral so there is less drag.. thus uses less battery.. and if im in some serious current i wil pull my outboard right out of the water and i pick up another knot or two of speed. :silly:

from my experience battery world will have what u want but will charge u for it..

Sax Where do you live.

The seller is the All Round Angler., a tackle shop on Beerburrum Road at Caboolture, and their shop prices are the same as their Ebay prices, so you can save yourself the delivery fee.

44lb should easily push that size boat, I've used everything from a single 28 to twin 55's on my 4.9m tinnie, and all go ok. The 28lb would not want a stiff headwind, but still pushed it about 3kph.

Why not ring them or go and visit they are at

Allround Angler

3 Henzell Rd, Caboolture, QLD 4510

p: (07) 5495 7400

the cheaper motor is salt water resistant and has stainless shaft and 5 speeds the dearer one has a composite shaft and variable speed. The stainless shafts bend and then you are unable to vary the depth of the motor.

I would spend the extra money for the composite shaft variable speed model.

If you are going to buy one of the el cheepo chinese motors have a good look at their running capacity. i brought a 44lb 24v one for $97 and the manual states do not run it at full power for more than 10 minutes. That was not stated in the description on ebay.

Cheers

Ray

cheers!

ill head to caboolture and avoid that delivery charge for sure,

the newer model sounds good.

and i guess ill shop around a while for the battery.

might drop into battery world suck there brains dry then hunt down a cheaper option.

see you on the water:laugh:

yeah no one was hurt which is the main thing.

i drive an early 80's nissan patrol and she was in a new 3 series bmw, so even though it was just a bump, the patrol wasnt too forgiving.. i hit the rear corner, so it got her rear bumper, boot, rear side panel and all her lights/indicators on one side.:blink:

The patrol has a scratch on the bumper.:P

the minn kota are a strong motor.. but u wont get ur warrenty with the second hand one.. but the min kota do have a 2 year warrenty when new.. where as the water snake has only 12months.. so i gues thier expecting it to not last as long.. if u have a look at it.. make sure the prop has not got chunks out of it, this will help u work out if it has come into contact with the bottom.. i like to buy stuff new.. then u know what has happened to it.. but minn kota are a better brand. but i have never owned a water snake.. i got one of these babies for my boat http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/motors/detail.asp?pg=sbm_riptidesp

it did start playing up last weekend, but seams to be in the foot controller and seams to be working fine now (taken it out twice since).. i pulled the controller apart and gave it a clean... i have had it for 15 months.

but that model is arround the $1500 if u get the auto pilot. which i love..

Killed the watersnake when I went into weed on full throttle and did not notice (trying to strangle one of my recalcitrant children at the time!) must have been 30 seconds or so on full throttle with the prop held by the weed before I realised it and turned it off, but to late it was burnt it out.

The other two, was actually the same motor I fixed then killed again, a Kmart brand one - first time was the speed controller, the second time it just died (some lowlife stole it before I could work out why it had died the second time, hope they sold it to a big hairy bikie with no sense of humour!)

Yeah the watersnake used to only draw about 30amps as well, the Kotta draws 45amps, (as did the Kmart one by the way) and gives me nearly 2kph more speed (all were rated 55's). The rated thrust I'd take with a large grain of salt. It is as a result of the revs and the prop pitch, not the power of the motor.

Interestingly enough The 36 Minnkota Riptide I bought for Alex's boat pushes my boat at the same speed as the 55 watersnake did (and strangely enough it uses about the same amps).

Archived