Hi - new to fishing in Aus

OTGav

Hi there,

I'm a complete novice to fishing in this country - but just got given a set-up so I could do with some education.

Interested in catching anything that will taste good.

Shiny new rod and reel begging to go get wet, and very interested in spearing / training some free diving for spearing.

If anyone sees this in the next day or so, and they have time to take a pom novice for a lesson in how to fish around here I've got lots of time this weekend.

Just got given a little Alvey rod and reel and can't wait to get involved.

Any advice on where / how to start would be welcome.

Thanks

Gav

Hi Gav! Welcome a'board! Get yourself a copy of the tide table with fish guide from your local newsagent. (Small size book on a rack) This gives info on legal sizes, rigs, bait, knots and tides. Invaluable! Are you new to fishing as well as new to Oz? I was both, and the info on this board has proved invaluable. All the blokes are more than happy to answer any questions, however basic. They even come out and help you fish!!! Good luck in Oz, it rocks! And good luck with the fishing. See you around,

Pommy Kev

Kev's Top Tips #1 - #6

#1: A Bream is pronounced Brim over here and is not related to a UK Bream (Lots of spikes and teeth) Most fish over here will injure you, carry a wet towel to hold them and pliers if you are unhooking near their gnarly mouths!!

#2: Whilst out fishing; sunscreen, insect repellant and a hat are essential, even when cloudy (not very often!!)

#3: Rather than cutting notches on structure or your bait box for number of fish caught, just count out swivels or whatever into a spare section of your tackle box.

#4: Be aware that a few of the fishing spots are gay dogging pick up points of an evening........

#5: Go to BCF and join their club. (Might be a good idea to go with no money or cards to start with, list what you think you want, then post it here for critical dissection, might save you a heap of money!!!)

#6: Look out for the frequent Kmart sales on fishing gear, great for stocking up on sinkers/swivels/hooks that you will always lose on the many snags you will encounter. Ideal, as you can send the missus to the clothes and the kids to the toys, browse with leisure, then sneak it all in the basket under her new knickers........

Hi OTGav,welcome to the site.

Yea matey Pommy Kev`s been with the site a couple of months now and is picking it all up,be like him and ask any thing that will help you out,there`s always some one helpful on here.

PK`s has learnt a lot off here,but alas,he`s brought the knickers trick,from pommy land.haha

cheers

MoparKevUk wrote:

Kev's Top Tips #1 - #6

#1: A Bream is pronounced Brim over here and is not related to a UK Bream (Lots of spikes and teeth) Most fish over here will injure you, carry a wet towel to hold them and pliers if you are unhooking near their gnarly mouths!!

#4: Be aware that a few of the fishing spots are gay dogging pick up points of an evening........

bahaha ahh kev u crack me up

Archived