mangrove jack

Jack2

Nice!

If you go up past the Munna Point bridge you will see the river turns to the right and then shortly to the left, I've had a LOT of luck in this area with good sized jacks in and around all the fallen timber just in this stretch of the river with lures and livies. Also a bit further up is another bridge, hit it as well... especially if you have some nice live mullet and prawns... but be very quiet on your approach...

In Woods Bays, the area where the rock wall is holds some really good sized jacks and cod - hit there of an afternoon and hang on...!!

There's lots of good areas up there to hit - it just takes patience! Also, check out www.fishingnoosa.com.au - they have weekly updates and reports on what is being caught where and call in to Davo's - the guys there are usually only too happy to help put customers onto fish...

Hope this helps ya and post up a report! I'm heading up that way either this weekend or next and will be hitting Woods Bays for some trevs on poppers... should be a great afternoon session..

Shorty :)

thanks mate.

yeah i read the reports everyweek.

my mate has been catching queenies ove a meter around the seccond green marker in the first lake (give that a go).

when you go under the munna point bridge you go right then follow it up past the little sand banks to the left and try the snags right up around to the left opisite the sandbanks

or do you mean just under the bridge to the right in them snags?

thanks

Go under the bridge and keep going straight ahead, don't turn right - the river will bend that way further up. You will see the river bends to the right and then to the left - right where it bends back to the left is the corner I used to sit on and hit every time I had a good number of livies... I used to have so much fun there!! Lots of really good cover and fishy looking snags. I used to use Mann stretch 10+ lures there as well... some of them are probably still stuck on snags on that corner!! :) Bloody jacks!! :D

I've also caught jacks right under the Munna Point bridge as well - and I've seen a young kid pull a ripper out of there - so they are around!! You will also get trevs and tarpon around there too - so watch for surface activity and don't be frightened to throw an unweighted live prawn at any surface activity you see - there are some big fish in that area and they love prawns!!

Awesome - and thank you for that tip. I'm yet to catch a queenie there but I know they are around so I'll make sure to keep my eyes out for them - nothing like seeing a queenie jump after smashing your popper!!

Good luck!

Shorty :)

One other thing Jack2 when looking for jacks start at the top of the tide and fish areas were the water is draining ie feeder creeks, mud banks draining suddenly to deep water and the base of retainer rock walls as these areas draining drain out all the tasty treats for Jacks. Fish right throughout the falling tide taking notes of what areas start to "drain" at what height of the tide. Some area may not be fishable till late in the tide and the jacks will start to fire up as the last of the water drains out.

Just throwing it out there!

I remember fishing the Burrum River for jacks about 6 years ago. Threw everything at em, live baits, fresh prawns, hard bodied lures (never heard of SPs then). Nothing. My youngest son was on the boat with me and his older brother. He was only about 11 years old then and so was baited up with yabbies catching an occasional bream. Then he tells me that he has got a big one on the line. "Sure son, looks like a snag to me".

Anyway we kept fishing while he was playing his snag on 6lb mono, light bream rod, ordinary spinning reel and his yabbie. You guessed it, about 5 minutes later, up comes a 45cm jack. To add insult to injury, it had about 10 hooks with leaders of up to 50lbs hanging out of its mouth. Still get reminded of that day every time we are fishing together.

Archived