Newbie from outside Australia

salmonsmith

G'day!

I am moving to Brisbane from RSA during the course of the year and looking to link up with some locals who enjoy surf fishing. Have fished the entire South African coast but looking forward to forgetting everything I know about fishing over here and learning how you do things over there.

Have made lots of mates and learned a stack on a local forum so really looking forward to chatting to you guys and browsing the archives.

best

Neil

Hi Niel,welcome to the site.

I moved here in March 08 (ex Pretoria) and pretty much fished all the spots you mentioned, loved Mazzepa and Koffiebaai.

You have definately joined the right forum as no book can teach you as the old hands on this site.

I agree that Straddie is a great place to get your local knowledge up to scratch. The best of all is that you do not have to travel 600km's to the nearest beach for fishing, depending on your location you can be on the beach within 35 mins.

I fish the bay and offshore regulary and would be keen to meet up when you arrive.

I have only had good experiences with the local fisho's and they are keen to share information and tricks of the trade.

I worked in Pretoria for a brief volunteer stint myself. Regretfully the only fishing I got to do was freshwater although we did get a fair bit of what we call Tilapia but you guys call Brim there. The black workers appreciated the full bags we gave to them :P

It was good times and i was really sad to come home and remember that 500gram steaks for breakfast and bush meat bri's are not actually that common place hahaha.

Angus

planetfonz wrote:

hello new person!

i hope u read the rules, especially the new rule.. all south africans must bring with them several dozen kilo's of borewors, biltong and jelly tots, and pass them out to the local online fishing community mmmmm

Hahahaha ill second that!

Biltong would make the best Kayakers lunch. :P

Angus

Hi

Yes the striker lures are still made. If you do a quick search on Yahoo you'd find a few links and even a video.

The boerewors and biltong is still a great feed for lunch on the boat. I buy boerewors at Coles in Newfarm. Not bad but not as good as in South Africa.

Biltong is also not to hard to find and jellytots are bought at the South African Shop in Oxenford.

One of these days we can arrange our own international comp on Moreton Bay. SA vs AUS

Angus wrote:

planetfonz wrote:
hello new person!

i hope u read the rules, especially the new rule.. all south africans must bring with them several dozen kilo's of borewors, biltong and jelly tots, and pass them out to the local online fishing community mmmmm

Angus

:X I tried Kadu, Zebra and Emu when over there :X but I gues OS visitors say the same of our Meat Pies

Angus wrote:

planetfonz wrote:
hello new person!

Angus

Welcome to the sight,

i`ll third the above.

My ex wife was SA,one of the better parts of settlement was,the bilton recipe I got to keep between the ears

salmonsmith wrote:

Hey Theo

I will definately look you up. Am coming through for a visit next month, but I suspect that my time will be consumed with finding a place to live, schools etc.

Ps: Am going to hole in the wall in June, will post some pics

N

mate dont hesitate to ask stuff regarding suburbs and schools etc as well. Between everyone on the site you should get some very good feedback.

Cheers.

Angus

OK gents biltong it is then!

Will make sure I bring some droe wors as well.

Sorry mate sorry to be the bearer of bad news but customs will not let you bring it in they are very savage on meat products. It would prudent to check their website to see just what you can bring in as it would save you lots of hassles.

Cheers

Ray

Archived