Surf Rod and Reel advice please

Clayto

Hi All

I am wanting to buy a beach rod and reel to fish with off the beach, this is absolutley new fishing for me but I am very keen to get out there and give it a go, can please give me some advice about size of rod and type of reel I should be looking to purchase?

Any advice would be welcomed - thanks all B)

Cheers

Clayte

Post edited by: Clayto, at: 2006/12/28 16:18

Post edited by: Clayto, at: 2006/12/28 16:42

Go and get an Alvey 2 piece surf rod, and 600 reel, 650 if you want a drag.

Otherwise get a wilson 2 piece surf rod and ask the tackle shop to match it to a reel around the $50, 60 mark. Should give you a reasonable outfit.

depending on how big you are, get either a 10 foot or 12 foot rod.

thanks for the replies, at this stage I am considering a few days at Bribie and fishing off the beach there or thereabouts, fairly new to the qld scene so any advce would be good on beach spots near Brisbane? I live in Samford, north of Brisbane and I am also down the Gold near Brleigh at least once per month or so.

Cheers

Clayte

Hi Guys

popped into Anaconda at Everton Park in Brissie this arvo, really great guy called paul helped me out and was honest and informative.

he suggested a 2 piece Alvy surf rod (I think it was a 6500?) and a Alvey 650B reel, total cost of both was $200, not sure if this is good or not price wise?

if anyone know of a good fishing shop in local Brissie area, please let me know, but I have to say that Paul was very helpful

Cheers

Clayto

Seems a bit dear, but not knowing the exact rod its hard to say. The Alvey 2 piece surf rod I bought set me back $40 on special, but it is a smaller unit - it is the -

\"Alvey 600 Estuary / Light Surf\"

10'6\" or 3.2m cast weight 100-170g.

It has a fantastic action, better action and cast distance than my Wilson 13 foot rod.

The reel should be under $100.

Compare prices on the rod at Big W.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/06 16:56

Guest IcEkNiGhT

if it was me id be getting a 7 foot rod medium action and a abu6500c3 i used to use them off the beach for australian salmon and jewies you can cast a mile if need be,

Archived