Nudgee Creek

vonny

My son, Michael, and I put the boat in at Nudgee creek just on the high. Popped in three pots in the hope of picking up a few sandies. Tried a drift from the ramp to about 200 metres out past the mouth, nothing. Motored back to the fishing jetty near the leash free park and anchored up. Young fella picked up a little ray which had him working for a while.

Nothing much for the next few hours so about an hour before the bottom of the tide we moved to the mouth. Over the next hour landed about 5 squire half a dozen bream and a couple of choppy tailor. All went back except for a nice 26cm bream, dinner!!.

Picked the pots up on the way back. 1st one was nice and heavy with a crab that would have easily gone 20 cm - bugger, genny so back she went. 2nd had two little sandies, so back they went. Last one had a nice 17cm buck.

So in the end Michael and I had just enough for tea between us.

On a side note saw a number of boats cast netting at the top of the tide, let me know if I am wrong but I am assuming they were chasing prawns.

Well, keep wetting lines and will catch you again later.

Vonny

Here's some food for thought.

I went on a school excursion with my daughter (Nov 08) to the environmental centre at Nudgee.

Talking to the bloke there, he puts in 3 pots every day of the year (trying to catch muddies to show/educate the kids). He told me in the previous year the grand total of legal crabs he pulled from there..........zero.

As from next Sunday March 1 Nudgee Creek, Nundah Creek ,Freshwater Creek, etc. etc.

will be completely off limits much to my and all fishos,who have enjoyed the crabbing, prawning,fishing and generally using the waterways,disgust. I suggest every

fisho should pick up a copy ofthe moreton bay marine park user guide for free from your tackle shop now, study it and save yourselves real dollars in fines.Not a good read.:(

Nudgee Creek has a boat ramp? I think there's been a confusion with Shultz Canal/Kedron Brook. Nudgee Creek is way too small for a boat ramp and is barely navigational at low tide. It's just north of Shultz's.

I used to do work experience at the Nudgee Beach Environmental Education centre with Scotty ten years ago. We used to set the pots everyday, run the dragnet, plant trees, it was great. We never caught crabs, Scotty had a big buck that he kept in a holding pot hidden under one of the jetties and he used it for show and tell for the kids. In the arvo he'd put it back and feed it. I think he let it go after awhile.

Nudgee Creek is an interesting creek, very shallow but produces some good fish. I've caught heaps of lizards all the way up it, including my biggest at 77cm at the mouth. But like wallfly said, it and Nundah Creek are now for canoers and birdwatchers only. Pity.

Vonny you're right they're chasing prawns, if you've gotta a net have a go. They're in Cabbage Tree, and they'll be in Shultz's too.

Oh! and what I meant to say too was that if there is gigantic jennies in the area you're crabbing, they're rogues and you wont get many other crabs. I've heard all sorts of stories about being cannibals and infertile at that stage, but I'm no scientist. I do know that in Nundah Creek which is reknown for it, is that if you're getting big jennies at one end of the creek, pull you're puts and put them at the other end, 'cause that's all you'll get. It's worked for me in the past.

Good work Vonny!

On the topic of the new zoning discussion in this thread.

I dont think Kedron Brook Floodway (i.e. Shultz) will be designated in the new zoning - it's still classified as general use.

Nundah creek does have portions (i.e. mouth) which will be classified as Marine National Park Zone (MNP).

Nudgee beach is split into two zones. Northern side will be an MNP, southern side will be a habitat protected zone (limited collecting and no trawling).

I suggest you guys go to the following links and chase it up with some proper mapping.
/>http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/moreton_bay_marine_park_zoning_plan_review/

Eug, Nudgee Creek Is all green, Nundah Creek is green from the gateway arterial to where it joins Cabbagetree Creek where the green line follows the South bank. Schultz Canal ie not in the marine park from the mouth upstream and is still open to fishos.The marine park guide book is free from tackle and boat shops. It has all the do's and don'ts EXCEPT NO INFO ON THE NEW FISH TAKE SIZES,ETC.

Archived