marlin and wahoo 1st march 09

MichaelJ

guys there are more marlin caught on light gear than heavy

the majority of game fishing on the boats i worked on allways ran with 8-16 kg gear

it was only when we found or were specifically targeting big BIG marlin that we'd bring out the 24s, 37s or 60kg gear

my pb on 8kg is 104 (died boatside and weighed) and on 16kg is 220+ tagged and released boatside)

the heavier the gear, the better the skipper and vessel, the better chance of a good release of a healthy fish... im not baggin out micheal in any way shape or form here.. but most big game anglers these days fish with heavier gear to try and ensure a good release of those beautiful fish....

my pb's are all on 24 kg..

blue....approx 250 kilo on 24 kilo stand up, 1 hr 45 mins, should have been a lot shorter fight but the skipper was a goose and i wasnt happy, we dont use him anymore, but the fish swam away ...and it had no bill by the way ...:ohmy: kiama canyons area

black.... approx 120 kilo on 24 kilo in the chair, 30 mins, swam away very healthy.. port stephens carpark area..

stripey .... approx 140 kilo on 24 kilo in the chair, 45 mins, swam away very healthy... batemans bay shelf line area ...

so all im saying is the quicker you can get a marlin boatside pics taken and tagged the better for them and our fishery, bloody hell the longlines do enough damage without us helping them destroy the fishery [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF3079-bdaae7683a0b43d3c0b59386aceeb52e.jpg

post-2155-144598486809_thumb.jpg

maxi wrote:

the heavier the gear, the better the skipper and vessel, the better chance of a good release of a healthy fish... im not baggin out micheal in any way shape or form here.. but most big game anglers these days fish with heavier gear to try and ensure a good release of those beautiful fish....

my pb's are all on 24 kg..

blue....approx 250 kilo on 24 kilo stand up, 1 hr 45 mins, should have been a lot shorter fight but the skipper was a goose and i wasnt happy, we dont use him anymore, but the fish swam away ...and it had no bill by the way ...:ohmy: kiama canyons area

black.... approx 120 kilo on 24 kilo in the chair, 30 mins, swam away very healthy.. port stephens carpark area..

stripey .... approx 140 kilo on 24 kilo in the chair, 45 mins, swam away very healthy... batemans bay shelf line area ...

so all im saying is the quicker you can get a marlin boatside pics taken and tagged the better for them and our fishery, bloody hell the longlines do enough damage without us helping them destroy the fishery [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF3079-bdaae7683a0b43d3c0b59386aceeb52e.jpg

Bets its not the worst skipper youve been out with Maxi.

I remember a boat that keeps breaking down.

:angry:

awwwww

and all the time we thought you got it ...:laugh: :laugh:

we got one once we thought was tailed but turned out to be hooked dead square between the tail flutes.. and yes it didnt release real healthy, but when we realised what was going on we backed down hard to try and eleviate the stress,

i have a pic of the hookup somewhere ?????? :blink:

We fish 8kg line because 80-90% of the tournaments we go in in SEQ have it set down as the only line class we can fish light tackle in waters less than 150m deep. There is a lot of cost associated with respooling all the time between social fishing and tournament fishing. As Mikey has said, most normal 20-25kg marlin we get over summer can be tagged and released in under 10 minutes. A lot of clubs also have club point scores for end of year trophies. The point systems in those reward fishing lighter gear for more points than heavier gear. 8kg works out to be the best all round compromise for the fish we get around here. Like the fish in this report, sometimes the wrong size fish jumps on the wrong size gear.

Archived