fishing regs in the new yellow (conservation) zone

coffey

The draft Moreton Bay Marine Park charts identified new conservation zones (coded yellow)and restricted line fishing to "Using not more than one hand-held rod or handline, with not more than one hook per person". The offical chart however makes no mention of this. Instead it refers to exemptions of areas closed to fishing under the Fisheries Act 1994 which seems silent on the one line, one hook buisness.

Could somebody please advise/confirm the regs?

Ho Coffy, The new Moreton Bay Marine Park user guide is the source of this info: A maximum of two lines and a total of two hooks per angler in a Conservation park zone {Yellow},Habitat protection zone {Blue} or General use zone {Light blue}. Fishing gear in a MNPZ {Green} must be stowed or secured. Hope this helps. You can pick up a guide book for free at most tackle and boat shops.:laugh: :woohoo:

Yellow zones

Maximum two lines and a total of two hooks per angler.

A Hook is

a lure with up to 3 hooks attached

Ganged set of hooks, maximum 6 hooks in the gang

squid jig

fly

a bait jig, maximum 6 hooks on the bait jig.

Yuo can still bait net

You can still use crab pots

You can troll

you can gather bait

moreton bay marine park user guide put out by the epa. out of the list of new rules / regs, requierd for yellow zones which takes up eight percent of the marine park rule #2 says ,a maximim of two lines and and a total of two hooks per angler. nothing is siad about, only the use of one hook, so you can still use one rod two hooks or two rods one hook per angler.

No idea on the formalities. But my reading came up with:

One line + one hook is :-

a lure (no matter how many trebles) is "one hook"

A gang of hooks is "one hook"

I think you are allowed 2 rods (one "hook" each) as well.

My guess is what they dont want are long lines. If I have it right, there is little to impact most yakkers. Could easily cramp the stinkers with multiple fishers in the yellow, however.

Does anyone want to correct this?

Dru

Thats correct. I printed it out for myself this morning.

It states "up to 2 lines and a maximum of 2 hooks per angler".

My interpretation is that you can have 2 lines with 1 hook ea or 1 line with 2 hooks.

In the light blue and dark blue zones you can have up to 3 lines and a max of 6 hooks per angler.

Archived